Turbo mesh

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, if the total area occupied by a said mesh.(not flywire) is about i reckon 5%, i could make up a small tube with entry and exits, the same piping size on the engine allready and make the middle section bellow out to the additional 5% larger or go that bit extra for good luck...this could be easily done within a length of 2 inches plus a bit extra for the pipe fitment...restriction.... solved

Last edited by a moderator:
i know someone who did a test on fan grills (using a flow meter) and a basic grill (little turbulence) reduce flow directly proportional to how much area the grill blocked.

that being true yes and I dont have an argument with that,
but,
the intake system after that screen/mesh is not going out into normal atmospheric conditions but being enclosed and directed to the cylinders under force

Ok, if the total area occupied by a said mesh.(not flywire) is about i reckon 5%, i could make up a small tube with entry and exits, the same piping size on the engine allready and make the middle section bellow out to the additional 5% larger or go that bit extra for good luck...this could be easily done within a length of 2 inches plus a bit extra for the pipe fitment...restriction.... solved

exactly.

just make it bigger....say 100mm bigger. weld in mesh etc.
but then again for the cost and hassle of doing that you could have picked up an IC.

exactly.

just make it bigger....say 100mm bigger. weld in mesh etc.
but then again for the cost and hassle of doing that you could have picked up an IC.

well for me, only my labour, and yes as i said ealier I would rather an IC but this would be a stopgap in between.

could you fabricate up some kind of sump for the air intake?so that if the turbo does let go, it throw all the chunky bits straight up into the sump first? lemme try and draw you a pretty picture!

nope pretty picture isn't happening.

so off the top of pipe from the turbo, to it's directly in line with there the turbo is going to be throwing chunks of metal, you have a "catcher's mitt." essentially you cut a chunk out of the top of the pipe, and weld a "cup" onto it. kinda like a lower case 'r'

don't know how effective that going to be, or what extra kind of stress thats gonna place on your turbo or how the extra turbulence is going to affect your air-flow.

my other idea would be some kind of "cyclonic" filter tube after the turbo

Here, how about this? Box would have to be of reasonable height, say 300mm in order for the lower pipe to not be able to spit stuff straight in to the upper pipe, but any particles flying in from the turbocharger would hit the far end of the box and fall to the bottom. Air would simply move through. Yes there'd be some turbulence created but you'd have zero actual restriction because the change in direction of the airflow is achieved in a zone of greater volume - so the pressure change handles it for you. Air velocity slows inside the box, further encouraging precipitation of particulates (shit falls to the bottom).

This would add a small amount of turbo lag - maybe in the order of a few milliseconds. As a solid box of not substantial volume, it ought to be barely noticeable.

attachment.php

Lastly, I'd like to point out that we are talking about an interim solution for a turbocharged engine that is awaiting the arrival of an intercooler anyway, so whatever the solution is, it's temporary!

Attachments

• turbochargersump.JPG
    turbochargersump.JPG
    10.6 KB

Latest posts

Back