Towing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldie

Reaction score
Up to now, I've just loaded everything into to back of the ute and gone bush.
Some weight with 40 litres of water, 40 litres of fuel, full fridge and everything else you can think of.
The old girl has done well and I can sit on 95-100k's cruising but she gets a bit slow when it hits a hill, not a problem. Even took her up to 130k's passing a slow nomad with no problem. The old gal seems to go fine and the temp gauge always sits about half way.
But I've just bought a camper trailer, unloaded weight is 460kg but that will change.
It doesn't have an intercooler but been thinking it might be time.
All opinions are welcome and I'm thinking the smaller Forefront winch cooler will be best for engine safety.
What do ya's reckon ?? I don't want to do major changes.

intercooler is worth it imho.
certainly when you have a bit of weight on and engine is working a fair bit.

Stay away from the cross country intercoolers for the d22- go the forefront for sure!
F.Y.I....I have the cross country one:(..

An intercooler is also useful for catching bits of turbocharger if yours ever lets go. Compare the cost of intercooler vs the cost of repairing an engine that's swallowed large chunks of metal and had them embedded in piston crowns and valve seats.

An intercooler is also useful for catching bits of turbocharger if yours ever lets go. Compare the cost of intercooler vs the cost of repairing an engine that's swallowed large chunks of metal and had them embedded in piston crowns and valve seats.

Exactly what I'm now thinking seeing I'll be towing some weight with the old girl.
Has anyone fitted the forefront winch intercooler and is it easy to fit ?
My mechanical skills aren't the greatest.

The turbocharger will work harder when towing, and that's why it's always a good idea to allow the turbo to cool after a hard haul before turning the engine off. The damage occurs not because the turbocharger has done extra work, but because it's become hotter - and shutting the engine down when the turbocharger is still extra-hot means the oil flow through the bearings stops, and when that stops, the oil that's still in the bearings just sits there and cooks. Once it hardens, it's bye-bye bearing time and very shortly afterwards the turbocharger comes apart.

So the intercooler doesn't help the turbocharger - only the driver can do that. The intercooler provides a little performance boost and a LOT of catcher's mitt!

One thing I've always done is idle the old girl down after a long run.
Just ordered the smaller D22 winch intercooler from Jamie at Forefront.
Better be safe than sorry as the old saying goes. I really can't afford an engine rebuilt.
Now I just gotta fit it LOL

Latest posts

Back