Starter motor / solenoid / wiring failure??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowen

Reaction score
G'day guys, hows it going? this is my first post, anyways here we go;

so i got my car not long ago has 300, 000 on the clock shes a QD32, anyways after a while starter motor began to die, no worries on the bay straight away, found a new starter motor, put it in worked like a charm. then the worst happened, the main wires connected to the terminals on the battery SNAPPPED in half from rust (im assuming they were originals from its 97 manufactor) did my best to repair it, worked fine to begin with then noticed a creakin sound when i went to start it...

did my best to rewire those huge suckers!! spent $80 on wires, but now im getting a single click from wht sounds likee the solenoid on the starter motor saying NO getfucked im not providing power to the starter motor.

then i do the old trick of putting into 4th gear rocking it back and forth, and it fires?? again leading me to believe its the solenoid....

any ideas proffesors??

Welcome aboard.

I'd suspect the solenoid as well. If the wires leading to it were damaged, the solenoid's contacts could have been arcing a lot, producing a build-up of carbon. 12V just doesn't travel though that easily, regardless of how many amps you can throw at it.

I remember pulling apart solenoids and fixing them up (early 80s) - not sure if you can do that on yours.

Something that you COULD try if you were game (and if you can get onto both poles of the solenoid - get some 0 gauge cable and connect the two solenoid poles together. If you get the starter turning over, you know the solenoid is toast.

complete new wiring, and complete new starter motor, and we have lift off!! worked a treat ... the solenoid carcked it completely, .... BUT good news is im good n going now!!

I am assuming your annoyed at the vehicle but please keep some language out of these posts.

This forum is for everyone and I am sure alot of people dont wanna see swearing.

Latest posts

Back