reduced power/acceleration

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browncow

Reaction score
Hi I have a 3ltr turbo Navara. I did a oil and fuel filter change on it a few weeks ago and a week or so later experienced a lack of power/acceleration. It sounds ok, revs up fine in nuetral but when driving it is gutless and can't even use 5th and 6th gear as need to keep the revs up to have any power at all. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

first thing that spring to mind is air leak. air being sucked into the fuel around the filter seals.
fit clear fuel line and look for bubbles.

A 3litre d40?

If it turns out you have 3 litre d22,check your nuetral position switch.

and your gearbox, i didn't know they ever did a 6sp d22...?

i'd suspect air leak also, especially if you didn't use a genuine nissan fuel filter, the aftermarket ones seem to have issues

The STX550 is a 3.0L V6 with a 6-speed manual or a 7-speed auto.

I wonder if they have SCV issues like the 4-bangers. I wouldn't suspect that at first, simply because of what you've just done - while faults can occur at the same time as other work and cause confusion (eg a tail light blows after you've plugged in a brake controller) the general approach to problem solving these is to look around the area you've been working on.

Fuel filters have been a little problematic with the seals - if you don't get them right, they can leak. Another issue could be how tight the hose clamps are on the hoses around these devices. If you over-tighten the clamp, you can cause the hose to pinch, which will allow air to be drawn in on the suction side (naturally the pressure side will be obvious with the amount of fuel pressure these babies develop!).

+1 on looking back over the work you've done, it doesn't take much to cause a leak. Our fuel systems run at extraordinary pressures - which also means they draw fuel from the tank at a very high rate. This means that if there's an opportunity for an air leak, it will happen very easily.

Old.Tony said:
The STX550 is a 3.0L V6 with a 6-speed manual or a 7-speed auto.

I wonder if they have SCV issues like the 4-bangers. I wouldn't suspect that at first, simply because of what you've just done - while faults can occur at the same time as other work and cause confusion (eg a tail light blows after you've plugged in a brake controller) the general approach to problem solving these is to look around the area you've been working on.

Fuel filters have been a little problematic with the seals - if you don't get them right, they can leak. Another issue could be how tight the hose clamps are on the hoses around these devices. If you over-tighten the clamp, you can cause the hose to pinch, which will allow air to be drawn in on the suction side (naturally the pressure side will be obvious with the amount of fuel pressure these babies develop!).

+1 on looking back over the work you've done, it doesn't take much to cause a leak. Our fuel systems run at extraordinary pressures - which also means they draw fuel from the tank at a very high rate. This means that if there's an opportunity for an air leak, it will happen very easily.

No issues yet

Latest posts

Back