rear drum brakes

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russell

Reaction score
Can Anyone tell me why every dual cab I see has drum brakes at the rear (nissan mtsubishi toyota etc) why hasn't any of them got disc brakes?

Can Anyone tell me why every dual cab I see has drum brakes at the rear (nissan mtsubishi toyota etc) why hasn't any of them got disc brakes?

Its for towing mate disk brakes cant handel the weight when towing.. if you look at any truck they have drum brakes. As for light vechials they run disks becuase they are not made for towing like the 4x4s

Cost
70% of braking is done by front wheels
Therefor there is no real need for discs on rear
But they are better
Some utes do have rear discs

Its for towing mate disk brakes cant handel the weight when towing.. if you look at any truck they have drum brakes. As for light vechials they run disks becuase they are not made for towing like the 4x4s

A lot of modern trucks now have disk brakes but it is a cost thing keep production costs down

Drums brakes are cheaper , easier to incorporate hand brake in , long lasting and are perfectly ok for rear axle application in utes.

That's interesting. Diesel rail cars have exposed disc brakes on each axle. They weigh a bit more than trucks.

There is better retardation with drums, more braking surface area. Well on the first application there is, after that heat can play a roll in braking efficiency but that is not taken into consideration when when the vehicle is being tested for towing rating. Add to that they're cheaper and un-sprung weight on a solid axle is not big issue unlike interdependent.

More modern trucks and buses do have disks on the front and as for the rail cars heat dissipation would be a major factor.

Interesting to note that the US Navara (Frontier) has rear disks but perhaps tow rating there is not such a big sales point for that market.

Yeh I suppose it has also to do with costs but what I was thinking is that on my navara there is a spring tensioner on the rear which adjusts how much the rear brakes are used so using that theory when the rear is loaded up the spring adjusts for more braking on the rear to take the load without any type of electrical components to calibrate it? Im not 100% but thats how I think it works.. all I know is that for weight drums can take a beating compared to disk brakes..

Well funny how the D40 Frontier is fitted with disk brakes on the M226 and C200 diffs and has similar tow ratings .I heard there was some deal with bringing in Disk brake fitted commercials drawing a higher tax or some crap .
Essentially the Pathfinder is the same vehicle as the Navara and is fitted with Disk brakes and in theory the disk brakes from the Pathy will fit the M226 Navara diff. According to the parts listings for the Frontier and the R51 Pathfinder they share all the same components .
One day I hopefully will be able to verify this but need about $700 to buy the parts second hand.
Just as a side note the Frontier doesnt have a load sensing valve

Very interesting. As long as they work,seen the breaking power increasing with more load isn't a bad thing

Is easy
Just have a look at the placement of the spring and position of the arm. Imagine the truck is lower by 50 mm as it would be under load. You should see that the spring gets pulled tight and pulls the lever forwards from memory. Just adjust the pivot bolts to get the same result .But you quite welcome to drop by on the weekend and we can compare notes so to speak

Weekend what's that.. I'm ment to be on a 4 on 4 off roster but thanks to people not stuffing up I'm on more of 6 on 2 off or this week 8 on 4 off for now. But yeah one day will have to compare notes. Never really seen a petrol d40.

my 2012 d40 hasen't got a load sensor valve on it like my old 2006 rx, the bracket is there but no valve must have somthing to do with traction control.

Latest posts

Back