QD32 not starting

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hggw

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 1997 Regulus/Terrano with the QD32ETi and all of a sudden it decided it didn't want to start. Starter motor turns over and everything (although turning much slower than usual) but engine doesn't start. It was fine one day and went to go to work the next day and couldn't get it going. Showing normal voltage (just got a new battery) so I personally wouldn't think it's an electrical issue. This happened to anyone else? Any suggestions are much appreciated, need to get it going as it's blocking my other car in lol. Cheers

Hi everyone, I have a 1997 Regulus/Terrano with the QD32ETi and all of a sudden it decided it didn't want to start. Starter motor turns over and everything (although turning much slower than usual) but engine doesn't start. It was fine one day and went to go to work the next day and couldn't get it going. Showing normal voltage (just got a new battery) so I personally wouldn't think it's an electrical issue. This happened to anyone else? Any suggestions are much appreciated, need to get it going as it's blocking my other car in lol.
I’ve got the exact same problem. QD32t, Had it running one day and then the next it fails to start, cranking but not firing. Did you end up figuring out the problem? Cheers.

I’ve got the exact same problem. QD32t, Had it running one day and then the next it fails to start, cranking but not firing. Did you end up figuring out the problem? Cheers.
Welcome Nate.
You may not get a reply from hggw as he's not been on the forum for a while. Your's is the QD32t not QD32eti right? What's the condition of the electrics? Maybe there has been a visit from rats? From memory there is a wire going to the kill solenoid on the injector pump. Make sure that is getting power when the ignition is on.

keep in mind its rare to find a genuine qd32t. they are typically qd32 with a aftermarket turbo (or td27t turbo fitted).
as above if its a non-efi pump then shock power to the pumps solenoid.
also check if the exhaust smells like diesel. if it does check glow plugs. the recent cold weather can make starting harder.
also pays to check batteries, the cold reduces their ability to perform.

keep in mind its rare to find a genuine qd32t. they are typically qd32 with a aftermarket turbo (or td27t turbo fitted).
also check if the exhaust smells like diesel. if it does check glow plugs. the recent cold weather can make starting harder.
I keep forgetting QD32t's aren't common - thanks

I’m pretty certain it is a genuine qd32t but could be wrong - how can I verify this? Also I initially thought it was glow plugs and weak battery so have replaced both but after looking at the fuel system it seems to be a problem on the engine side of the fuel filter so the injector pump cut off solenoid sounds plausible. Will check with multi meter tonight and go from there. Cheers for the help.

post a pic of the injection pump, also check the engine model number on the plate.

dirty fuel filter, cold fuel, all makes it harder to such fuel through which can in turn help suck air into the fuel lines and cause an air lock.

post a pic of the injection pump, also check the engine model number on the plate.

dirty fuel filter, cold fuel, all makes it harder to such fuel through which can in turn help suck air into the fuel lines and cause an air lock.
4de92920-dae3-418a-9ab2-c5f9bb62d778-jpeg.38528

Apologies for the bad photo but wee bit cramped for a phone down there. Turns out it must be a td27 pump. Checked the cut off solenoid and it’s getting 11.8v. Before the engine failed to start I had a few cold starts that were difficult and a rough idle with white smoke, had to rev higher to stop the engine from stalling out for the first few seconds. Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• 4DE92920-DAE3-418A-9AB2-C5F9BB62D778.jpeg
    4DE92920-DAE3-418A-9AB2-C5F9BB62D778.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 31
4de92920-dae3-418a-9ab2-c5f9bb62d778-jpeg.38528

Apologies for the bad photo but wee bit cramped for a phone down there. Turns out it must be a td27 pump. Checked the cut off solenoid and it’s getting 11.8v. Before the engine failed to start I had a few cold starts that were difficult and a rough idle with white smoke, had to rev higher to stop the engine from stalling out for the first few seconds. Thanks again for the help.

Thanks everyone for the help! I got it running tonight, turns out the kill solenoid on the fuel injector pump just needed waking up with a few zaps. After about five zaps from a jumper lead directly from the battery to the solenoid it started working as the clicking was audible- after that it started up first pop. Not sure why it decided to stick in the first place but oh well. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back