New intercooler, no boost

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewhoppy

Reaction score
Had a new intercooler and piping installed, picked it up and drove away and the pipe blew off on the hot side. Drove back to the workshop and they re-fixed the piping. Noticed they had not fitted the boost sensor to the cold side, questioned them and they said it is not needed to be fitted. I'm calling bs on this, sure enough drove home and seems to be very little or no boost. Too late to return but will be back in the morning. What are the symptoms if the sensor is not fitted? And can the sensor be fitted to the cold side pipe work rather than the intercooler (as per stock) itself.

The boost sensor is needed for the car to work out the correct air/fuel mixture.

As for location, you CAN put it in the pipework just after the intercooler. There's a temperature variation between there and the intake manifold (it's only small but it's there) so while you COULD put it in the intake manifold, it's far better where it was. You could mount it mid-way between the IC and the manifold, in a custom section of pipe (flared ends) designed just for holding the sensor.

The boost sensor is needed for the car to work out the correct air/fuel mixture.
no. stop thinking like a petrol head,,,,,,, its a diesel.

fueling is probably done solely by the MAF sensor but boost control for the turbo is controlled by the boost sensor. no boost sensor could cause overboost and may be why it blew the hose off.

considering where nissan fitted the sensor its probably not all that critical where you fit it.
but inlet manifold is technically best but can suffer from pulses and egr setup may interfere with it.
cold side pipework is ok but you can run into issues if there is a leak in IC/pipes.
hot side closest to turbo is technically safer but worse for performance.

No, im tipping the pipe blew off due to the clamp not holding the hot side pipe in properley (had the same problem until i bent a flange on the end of the pipe), or the clamp wasnt done up tight enough. I use the SAS bolt clamps. Alot stronger.

Make sure your cooler piping has a lip or flange on each end of the piping. When it boosts, instead of the pipe popping out, the lip or flange will push against the clamp inside of the silicone join, stopping it from popping out.

You will need the boost sensor fitted. The MAF will not be solely taking care of the air fuel mix. Its not a "probably" thing. Its a you NEED the boost sensor thing.

Last edited:
You will need the boost sensor fitted. The MAF will not be solely taking care of the air fuel mix. Its not a "probably" thing. Its a you NEED the boost sensor thing.
yes he needs the boost sensor fitted.
but it doesn't do jack for fueling. the yd25 in the d22 navara dosn't even have a boost sensor.

correct the maf is not solely doing the fueling..... the bulk of it is done (like all diesels) by the throttle ie tps sensor.

Without reverse-engineering the ECU program I can't PROVE that the boost sensor is or isn't used. Tweak'e is right - I do tend to think like a petrol head, because for 40 years that's what I've played with. It's only the last few years that I've actually played with diesels.

In the D40, the MAFS is quite capable of determining how much air is in the intake. The boost pressure sensor DOES read pressure rather well but strictly speaking you don't NEED the info from the sensor because you already know how many air molecules are passing through the MAFS. The additional information that the boost pressure sensor gives you would let you have an idea of how much pressure is going to be present in the cylinder at TDC as well as a good indication of how hot it will be (it can be calculated, but whether or not they DO calculate this is unknown).

In a petrol engine it makes a difference because there's a throttle butterfly - which is absent in the diesel and it's something that I forgot.

yes he needs the boost sensor fitted. but it doesn't do jack for fueling. the yd25 in the d22 navara dosn't even have a boost sensor. correct the maf is not solely doing the fueling..... the bulk of it is done (like all diesels) by the throttle ie tps sensor.

Why does the D22 not have it? Genuine question, not being a smartarse.

Why does the D22 not have it? Genuine question, not being a smartarse.
thats a good question.
i'm not sure why.
d22 has wastegate type turbo so it doesn't need the boost sensor to control the turbo. nissan is probably to cheap to use a boost sensor as overboost protection.
crudely put the only AFR the ecu controls is the max limit ie don't make it run to rich. it knows how much fuel its injecting (set by throttle/driver) and maf reads the airflow. as long as its not to rich it does f all. it just controls the injection timing.

non-cr patrol zd30 the maf does both the fueling and turbo control (variable turbo). boost sensor only does overboost protection.
of course maf starts to fail, throws turbo out which changes the airflow which changes the fueling and the grenade goes bang.

Latest posts

Back