Loss of power and black smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jude K

Reaction score
Hey legends, just having a problem with the 2011 Thai built D40 Navara. The car has almost no power ( reading 3psi @100km/h and 2500rpm). Changed 4 vacuum lines ( not too sure if there’s any more I missed) and diagnostic tool came up with a MAF sensor error code so changed that. So far both solutions haven’t worked and bit stuck on what to do so reaching out for some tips and any similar problems
Cheers Lads.

It might just be a boost control solenoid. Try connecting the vacuum line that crosses the top of the motor directly to the turbo actuator and see if that fixes things. If it does, a new BCS is needed.

Otherwise, there's a large hose coming off the baffles heading towards the intercooler, in the attached picture from my garage I've labelled it "turbocharged air". Undo this hose and wipe a clean finger on the inside. It should come out with a small amount of black oil.

Look at this oil under a strong light. If you notice any flecks of metal, your turbocharger is highly suspect. Check the shaft of the turbocharger for wobble or not-smooth rotation.

26140-6494.jpg

G'day Tony , long time Following and 1st time commenting mate.
I'm having the Exact same problem with my 2008 VSK D40 Navara mate.
It's a Manual. It cannot seem to hold 100kms comfortably on the Hwy.
I've changed the Boost control Solenoid, It's had an Aftermarket Turbocharger fitted , ive replaced the SCV , al Boost Vac Lines seem ok.

It's consuming more Diesel than normal , and runs fairly ok around 40-60-80kms.
Anything more seems to struggle.
I had to reattach the VNT bolt Actuator on the Aftermarket Turbocharger I bought for it (replaced the Garret) thinking maybe the VNT Actuator isn't 110% correct?! It came loose after driving it for 15mins when I reinstalled the new Turbocharger (not ideal for a New Turbo hey)
Anyway..
Hope your able to help mate...
..regards..
Andre

I've changed the Boost control Solenoid, It's had an Aftermarket Turbocharger fitted , ive replaced the SCV , al Boost Vac Lines seem ok.

I had to reattach the VNT bolt Actuator on the Aftermarket Turbocharger I bought for it (replaced the Garret) thinking maybe the VNT Actuator isn't 110% correct?! It came loose after driving it for 15mins when I reinstalled the new Turbocharger (not ideal for a New Turbo hey)
Anyway..
..regards..
Andre

Anyway..
..regards..
Andre
Any help would be awesome Tony , mate I've posted on a few Facebook pages asking for help , ive owned the Ute for almost 10 yrs and only had dramas over the past 6 months..
I see your fairly knowledgeable on the YD25 etc.

I've read countless contributions you've made with other forums mate and I'm sure your able to help me work out my drama.
Thanks again.

Andre

Following. I have Black brown smoke, dies on hills and can even stall after cold start, even after a 5min warm up, omce its hot gors good. but blasts out black brown smoke on takeoffs or overtake, good Accel etc, im able to hit 120-130+ lucky me, brand new SCV, brand new Fuel pressure rail sensor, resetted ecu/fuel pump to learn mode.. battery neg terminal off hold brake pedal trick,. Going okay .. when warmed up, too much smoke, fearful of getting done.

Saw a video other day on YT by a Mechanic shop based in Sydney Northern beaches, with a Customer D40 in with Heavy smole & massive lack of power...

They said in video they suspect EGR, changed all EGR & piping,

no smoke, monster power like a new car.

I dont want to give any advice,
but for me ... I am spending the $400 bux on all new EGR Valve& Pipes soon,
my mechanic prices r great, womt cost me much to fit & i am confident i will have greater power back & the smoke issues etc will go.

Blocking off works, but for me only for a week or so, no smoke & like a new car, then heaps of smoke back... also my heater didn't work suddenly.. must be so blocked n caked up in all that & i have a EGR code coming up.

Its going! Full replacement for my YD25

Following. I have Black brown smoke, dies on hills and can even stall after cold start, even after a 5min warm up, omce its hot gors good. but blasts out black brown smoke on takeoffs or overtake, good Accel etc, im able to hit 120-130+ lucky me, brand new SCV, brand new Fuel pressure rail sensor, resetted ecu/fuel pump to learn mode.. battery neg terminal off hold brake pedal trick,. Going okay .. when warmed up, too much smoke, fearful of getting done.

Saw a video other day on YT by a Mechanic shop based in Sydney Northern beaches, with a Customer D40 in with Heavy smole & massive lack of power...

They said in video they suspect EGR, changed all EGR & piping,

no smoke, monster power like a new car.

I dont want to give any advice,
but for me ... I am spending the $400 bux on all new EGR Valve& Pipes soon,
my mechanic prices r great, womt cost me much to fit & i am confident i will have greater power back & the smoke issues etc will go.

Blocking off works, but for me only for a week or so, no smoke & like a new car, then heaps of smoke back... also my heater didn't work suddenly.. must be so blocked n caked up in all that & i have a EGR code coming up.

Its going! Full replacement for my YD25
EGR needs to be cleaned at every oil change if you don't block it off. My YD25 (2005) ran without EGR for years (15 at least without the EGR and passed EURO tech inspection everytime) until something else kill it at 420000kms. Good Luck mate.

EGR needs to be cleaned at every oil change if you don't block it off. My YD25 (2005) ran without EGR for years (15 at least without the EGR and passed EURO tech inspection everytime) until something else kill it at 420000kms. Good Luck mate.
This does make sensem.. thanks.. my Navvy ran quite nice powerful cranked up to max and smoke free when i got it within 20 its rooted. it all makes sense now. soot pipe egr blocks .. i even have a specific code now egr. way bettter to ti replace & enjoy yearscof trouble free motoring

Latest posts

Back