Limp home mode and cruise control problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck K

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Firstly let me apologise for a lengthy post, but I want to try to resolve this problem if I can.....

Just joined the site after buying a new D40 ST-X Dual Cab auto diesel (Spain). Initially very happy with the buy, but have run into a few problems and was wondering whether anyone else has experienced similar.

First issue occurred at 2500k, when the missus (doesn't it always happen that way) was driving into town and realised the Nav wouldn't change up out of 3rd gear. Brought it home, turned it off and told me so I tried to replicate. Same thing right from the get go...nothing above 3rd gear. Turned it off and then drove to Nissan dealer - bloody thing went like a dream and naturally when the dealer drove it it behaved perfectly. Fault log showed an error with the transmission but that no fault existed now. Told the dealer to investigate further - Nissan suggested a software upgrade (which they did) but basically shrugged their shoulders and scratched their heads. Dealer was good and investigated possible faults in the digital data bus - they believed there might have been a comms problem between one of the modules hanging off the data bus and that this had caused the Nav to go into limp home mode. Vehicle hasn't repeated the problem and I've done another 800k since the problem first appeared with no recurrences.

Second hiccup involved the cruise control - beetling along at 100kph and suddenly we feel the Nav decelerate. First thought was not bloody limp home mode again! Then realised cruise control had dropped out. Got back up to 100kph again and set speed on the cruise control, which activated. Five seconds later, it dropped out again. Rinse and repeat - same outcome. Turned the cruise control off and then on and the 'set' lamp on the cruise control started flashing. Would not accept any input. Went straight to the dealer and made the error of turning the car off after we arrived. Naturally the cruise control worked perfectly when the dealer and I took it for a spin. No fault logged in the onboard system. Hasn't hiccuped since either. Dealer reckons it may be the data bus playing up again.

Nav has been playing nicely over the last 800k but I still have niggling doubts about whether the problems have really been resolved. Any thoughts/experiences that might shed some light?

The work D40 (2007 model style side dual cab) has gone into "limp home mode" numerous times after being stalled when taking off from a stop - due to the very cruddy 1st gear that needs a lot of clutch slipping to get going. Victims of this mode have stated they switch it off for a minute, then it will return to normal mode and drive off with more clutch slipping to ensure no stall.

I would suggest that you could possibly have a loose electrical connector somewhere or maybe a bad earth somewhere.

Another suggestion for your cruise control problem could be a loose or out of alignment switch on either the brake or accelerator pedals.

I had the same problem with mine a while back, after turning off and back on again it hasnt reoccured. Dealer checked the log at service and advised that it was probably a miss reading on the oil low sensor, and its a known problem. Mine needs to have the sesnor replaced at next service as it often report low oil, even though a dipstick inspection shows its not.

I had the same cruise issue in my pathfinder. They had to clean the clutch detection sensor thingy and it didnt reoccur after that.

Looks like they found the culprit...the auto transmission. Computer analysis identified a fault with the torque converter so the dealer took the car for a couple of days and dropped the transmission. Looked inside and shook their heads - they said the amount of metal filings in the bottom of the transmission more closely resembled a transmission with 150,000 kms on it rather than the 4000 kms I've done so far. They believe the fault arose during the manufacturing process, with some metal scurf remaining in the transmission after installation.

Dealer took some photos and sent the results off the Nissan. Nissan came back and said 'Replace the transmission in toto!'. So hopefully the issues will resolve themselves after the new transmission is dropped in. Will have to wait a while for an auto transmission to reach our shores (as the dealer said " Hope this is an indication of a lack of problems with Navara transmissions in general") but should have the car back on the road in a few days. Dealer has been fantastic throughout and I feel is on the customer's side rather than siding with Nissan.

BTW, the dealer says the warranty cost for a new auto transmission is $11,000 - glad Nissan is picking up the tab for this!!

There's no way we'd have picked that - it's the first I've heard of it. Torque converter clutch issues sure, but never shavings in the box. Glad to hear it's been resolved!

Latest posts

Back