Fuel Contamination

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete22

Reaction score
Well guys after this weekend I'm pretty certain I've really upset someone in a very high place.......for the 3rd time now I've scored serious water contamination when filling my D40. The ute is stuck in Nowra after a ride on the back of a big NRMA tow-truck and the boys at Shoalhaven Diesel Tech will start the clean up and flush job tomorrow. This is the second time I've had to do this in just over a month.....how un-bloody-lucky can one person get?
Thankfully I have NRMA Premium cover and they have hired me a car for a few days.....actually can get this extended up to total cost of $3000 but don't expect to need it that long. Got the wife home and now will head back to Nowra tomorrow.
Gotta say I'm really happy that I invested in a water watch alarm system. As yet the dash light hasn't activated as water watch has always alerted me to the problem.
Just wondering if I'm just unlucky or have others out there been picking up crappy water laden diesel?

I have never seen my dash light up from water in the fuel.

But I only fill up at truck stops.

Thats 230,000km's worth of driving in this ute.

I have never seen my dash light up from water in the fuel.

But I only fill up at truck stops.

Thats 230,000km's worth of driving in this ute.

Dave - the first contaminated load I got was from a truck stop just on the northside of Kempsey.....and that was before I had water watch fitted. Dash light lit up and I had to drain the OEM filter trap every 50km until I got home....had the tank drained and flushed out and all good for about 30000km until I pick up the next load of crap......like I said must've upset someone high up or un over a Chinaman somewhere in my travels.

my 22 has a factory one allready

So does the D40 but it is nothing like water watch and can quickly allow water through to the sensitive parts of the engine. The water trap in the OEM filter is equal to about a thimble.......water watch is about a third of a litre. Remember - your filter WILL NOT stop water........so the more protection you have the better IMHO.

So does the D40 but it is nothing like water watch and can quickly allow water through to the sensitive parts of the engine. The water trap in the OEM filter is equal to about a thimble.......water watch is about a third of a litre. Remember - your filter WILL NOT stop water........so the more protection you have the better IMHO.

Ok...actually i have one(filter and glass bowl) sitting in the shed, just have'nt got around to fitting it.

Ok...actually i have one(filter and glass bowl) sitting in the shed, just have'nt got around to fitting it.

I'm only guessing here Krankin but make sure you check that what you have won't inhibit the rate of fuel flow to the pump. Water Watch has no filter and the model I have fitted is good for 2.5 to 8 ltr engines. Some CAV type filters are not suitable for common rail engines so just make sure you check with someone who is knowledgable on these things (not me but Old Tony may well be able to help) before you fit.

I'm only guessing here Krankin but make sure you check that what you have won't inhibit the rate of fuel flow to the pump. Water Watch has no filter and the model I have fitted is good for 2.5 to 8 ltr engines. Some CAV type filters are not suitable for common rail engines so just make sure you check with someone who is knowledgable on these things (not me but Old Tony may well be able to help) before you fit.

Oh thanks...it is a CAV type....I'll suss the situation out then.

anyone else...feel free to input on those types of filters

:cheers!:

We've got one on the Kubota, should be just right for you guys and your D22 tractors.

We've got one on the Kubota, should be just right for you guys and your D22 tractors.

Ahh, great......

so now and again you get out of the salon and onto the kubota, make you a real man.....us 22 owners, were like that all the time.

Latest posts

Back