D22 QD32 tappet?? noise on start up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LC NAVARA

Reaction score
My 97 model 200k old engine makes a steady load clacking noise (best description) only when started after being shut down for hours or each morning. When the oil light goes out the noise stops. Have checked the valve gear, cam, timing gears, bearings etc all are unmarked, even plugged the oil galley to the rocker shaft and the noise stayed the same so its not in the valve gear. The QD engine is not popular in Australia, only used in the Navara and forklifts, widely used in Asia I believe. I was a auto mechanic years back and was hoping someone with experience in the QD engine may have an answer or knows of something which can help.
Where can you check for NISSAN Service Bulletins.
Anyone with the same engine, would you kindly lift the bonnet one morning and listen for this noise, I would appreciate for feedback.

Regards Lawrie.

Last edited:
It is building oil pressure up and has it when the light goes out.If it has only just started doing it you may want to look at your oil pump.The noise comes from the tappets because the hydraulic lifters are building up pressure.

Last edited:
how long does ur oil pressure light stay on for? if its longer than say 3 seconds... u have a problem, generally speaking its the rubber i believe

Latest posts

Back