Clutch stress in sand dunes

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 5942

Reaction score
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, as this is just a general offroad question.

I took my 2006 Navara to the sand dunes just a couple of times, and I noticed quite immediately the clutch needs to be worked out much more when compared to my previous car (which was automatic transmission).

I have already asked around and this seems to be normal for engines to stall more often with manual transmission (especially in sand). My question however, isn't that too harsh on the clutch? I read a lot about Navara's clutch breaking down, is that something I need to worry about?

Thanks
Ronen

clutches are a consumable item
the more you abuse them the quicker they wear
maybee a better aftermarket clutch is needed
what tyre pressures do you run on the sand?
i use low range 90% of the time with 16 psi and have no clutch issues
the clutch issues are with the dual mass d 40's, i think they have stopped using them,
d22 clutches are fine

You have to use low range with these motors/gearing. My old Hilux with far less power could easily be driven in high range on the dunes this was mainly because of the much shorter gearing rather than the strength of the clutch.

Are you in a D22 or D40? My D22 and I have done a lot (no really, I mean a lot) of sand driving. I use high and low range depending on what the sand is like etc. But most importantly I drop tyre pressures to suit. No load - 16psi is a good start. Loaded - try 18psi. But remember you can always go lower (down to 10psi at an extreme). If your stalling I'd be guessing tyre pressure is your problem.

Thanks all.

Mine is a D22 ST-R for the matter, had no idea there are 2006 D40's so sorry for not mentioning this.

In terms of tyre pressure, I had 20 psi with no load (just myself in the car, wife and kids deserted me).

Basically what happened is that we were driving close to the beach, then wanted to return more inland and had to take a turn right. The guy at the front (Landcruiser Prado, automatic gear) went first and got stuck quite early on. With a bit of pushing we got him out. I decided to take on a different approach and put my trust in speed. So I've managed to get up 2nd gear at about 3,000rpm but the car stalled half way into the turn, managed to get further in than the Prado though.

Maybe not the best driving technique, more used to riding dirt bikes than cars :)

too much air for soft sand. Just keep airing down until you see the tyres bag out.

Tyres bagged out are your friend in soft sand. Not speed.

Thanks all.

Mine is a D22 ST-R for the matter,

had no idea there are 2006 D40's so sorry for not mentioning this.

B

don't stress mate........there's a few dislexic souls on here:sarcastic:

generaly on sand tyre press and as elsewhere correct gear selection and eng revs is the key.

:cheers!:

too much air for soft sand. Just keep airing down until you see the tyres bag out.

Tyres bagged out are your friend in soft sand. Not speed.

Sorry if I am analysing this to death (I have this problem) but I have been thinking about it and I can't really understand why the engine would stall with higher tyre pressure. I would expect more free spin, because theoretically:

higher pressure = taller/higher tyre profile = less grip

This should result with more free spin and therefore less of a chance for the engine to stall. So what am I missing here?

Sorry if I am analysing this to death (I have this problem) but I have been thinking about it and I can't really understand why the engine would stall with higher tyre pressure. I would expect more free spin, because theoretically:

higher pressure = taller/higher tyre profile = less grip

This should result with more free spin and therefore less of a chance for the engine to stall. So what am I missing here?

I suspect your engine would be stalling more from incorrect gear/rev selection than tyre pressures alone....

but maybe in your case, street pressures on the sand is leading you to bog down in the sand quickly and at that moment of bogging down your stalling??? is that the case???

either way, my first line above is what to strive for as in lowering tyre press and using the gears/engine correctly.

:cheers!:

with high tyre pressure you dig holes in sand
let the pressure down and you get a wider footprint
more surface area gives better grip
better grip means less stress on drivetrain
hope this helps
sparra

Latest posts

Back