Clutch bleeding

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happytimes

Reaction score
Hey there,
Does anyone have any tips on bleeding a clutch? I've been using the old method with a piece of hose going into a jar half full of brake fluid but to no avail. There doesn't seem to be any air in the line as solid fluid is coming out but the clutch is still extremely soft. Anyone have any ideas? I've just replaced both the slave cylinder and master cylinder. The car is a 1986 D21 4x4 too. Any help would be appreciated its annoying the s**t out of me.
Cheers

That'd be the way Id do it.

Is it working or not working ?

Could just be different size pistons in the Master cylinder and slave cylinder.

I'm putting fluid in the master cylinder, loosening the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder a tiny bit until fluid drips out and I then tighten the bleeder screw again and attach a hose that leads into a jar half full of brake fluid. I then pump the clutch very slowly until only fluid and no air comes out and replenish the level in the master cylinder as needed. I also tried the exact same way using a hose with a valve on the end so no air can get back in but it didn't work either. I've done this method before and it worked perfectly but it doesn't seem to want to play the game this time.

Are you pumping the pedal with the bleeder closed, then with the pedal held down, releasing the bleeder and watching what comes out, then closing the bleeder, pumping again, hold pedal, open bleeder, etc etc etc?

Are you pumping the pedal with the bleeder closed, then with the pedal held down, releasing the bleeder and watching what comes out, then closing the bleeder, pumping again, hold pedal, open bleeder, etc etc etc?
Yep that's the way i do it. Although the first time I tried to bleed it, I used the hose with a valve on the end I think it might be called a "visibleed" or something along those lines? I'm not exactly sure because I didn't buy it. But I think the valve on the end could've been a bit stuffed because I could see bubbles floating back up the line. I've now resorted back to the hose without a valve and I can see that there's no air bubbles in the line. The pedal did get quiet hard during the process but not hard enough for it to come back up by itself. I'm pretty sure it can't be the clutch itself as it was working fine before I replaced both the cylinders. (I replaced them because the master cylinder got a crack in it) I'm going to keep trying tomorrow hopefully it's something simple I might just need to adjust the master cylinder rod.
Cheers.

I had a better look at the situation today but no good. I've found that the fluid is getting trapped under the rubber boot and spewing out when pumping the pedal. I can't figure out why it's doing this it could be a bad slave cylinder? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers

Latest posts

Back