Calling All Auto Sparky's

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qikfor

Reaction score
Hi All,
this is my first post as I just purchased myself a 06 STX Dual Cab.
I got it home and decided to clean up the wiring as I think i am the 3rd owner and it was a bit untidy, It looked like it had dual battery's at some stage, Ant way while I was pulling the redundant cables out I shorted the battery cable, I now stupid idea to pull this gear out with the battery still in but I got caught up in the moment. after I pulled it out the navara wouldn't start it acted as if it had a flat battery, I tried to kick it a couple of times before I heard a crack and now the battery is stuffed.

Have I done more damage than just a stuffed battery?? I checked fuses and fuse-able links but they look good?
Do I need to check anything before I put a new battery in it tomorrow and try to start it??

Any Help would be great

Thanks
Browny

Hey Browny,

Did you check the fuses in the fuse-link that attaches to the positive battery terminal?

+1 on Aussie's advice. Disconnect the old battery before continuing.

Dual battery systems (done properly) have large cables that can carry great gobs of current - more than enough to destroy every bit of electronic circuitry in the car in under a second.

Fuses should prevent that. Most fuses blow when about 3x their rated current hits them instantly. If your fuses are intact then large currents probably haven't gone around the place. The ECU is protected by a fuse and a relay. There's a fuse inside (just below halfway down the left bank beside the glove box) and there's a relay in the large box behind the battery (second relay from the front of the vehicle, I think). Ignition ON should make that relay click.

If your dash isn't doing diagnostics then your ECU is dead. If your central locking or electric windows aren't working then your BCM has failed.

I'd clean it up and tentatively start from there. Maybe try checking the resistance from the positive terminal to the chassis before connecting the battery?

I'd also check the large fusible links in the battery's positive pole mount.

Latest posts

Back