Blowing excessive black Smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyson0189

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
i recently bought a 08 d22 navara 2.5l tdi and recently moved to Brisbane from townsville(roughlt 1600kms). On the move down from townsville i notice the excessive black smoke anytime i put my foot down. i thought maybe this was from carrying a heavy load but currently with no load everyday driving it is still covering the car behind me with soot everytime i take off can anyone help me out here???

Welcome to the forum.

It shouldn't cover the car with soot, but you'll get a fair bit with your foot all the way to the floor.

Diesels don't drive like petrols. While you CAN plant your foot and accelerate hard, diesels prefer to wind their way up using torque to accelerate, rather than horsepower.

If it's a huge cloud and you're not putting your foot all the way down, I'd suggest that your ECU might be overfueling the engine. There could be two reasons for this.

The fuel pump is supposed to deliver a certain pressure. If the pressure sensor in the fuel rail determines that the pump output is insufficient, the ECU instructs the pump to work harder. Opening the injector will, for the same duration, result in more fuel when the pressure is higher (you can prove this with your kitchen tap). You may have a dodgy sensor or a blocked fuel filter.

The other cause is the ECU's ability to learn fuel rates. It watches how you drive, and if you plant your foot all the time to get the vehicle moving, the ECU adjusts the fuel map to accommodate the higher performance requirement. However, it won't always adjust back down quickly. To reset your ECU (this works in ANY vehicle) just do the following:

1) Note your trip meter values in case you use these for fuel economy or trip records.
2) Remove the negative lead off ALL batteries in the vehicle
3) Press your foot on the brake pedal or try to turn on the ignition for 5 seconds.
4) Return the negative leads to all batteries.
5) Take the vehicle for a gentle, unladen 10 minute drive on mostly level ground, using no more than 2500rpm (the D22 might need to get up to 3000rpm).
6) Pull over and turn the vehicle off, which saves the new fuel map.

The vehicle will continue to learn and planting your foot will encourage it to map towards a higher fuel rate again.

Latest posts

Back