Aircon Noise ???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrome dome

Reaction score
I have a strange noise that is hard to describe from the aircon on start up and the same noise but really faint when you shut it down . I was wondering if some one has this same problem and can shed some light on it for me ..... Thanks

I know you say it's hard to explain but can your try, otherwise it's a bit hard for us to diagnose. Is it mechanics, electrical, air something like that which might point people in a direction?

I was thinking similar to what Krankin said but I wouldn't have called that mechanical. Any chance (and I hate myself for suggesting it because the net is littered with crappy sound files) you can get a recording of it?

I can sometimes hear the flaps being opened and closed - usually like a soft electric motor sound (similar to the sound you hear when you insert or eject a DVD but softer). I can sometimes hear what sounds like a rush of escaping air, which would be the refrigerant coming up to pressure inside the heat exchanger.

None of it is extraordinary. The only extraordinary noises we had on our Christmas trip was the thumping of the birds on the windscreen, most notably the one that tried to see if its brain would fit through its ass - it succeeded.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. Might be worth mentioning to the service manager, or if you're super-energetic, get some silicon lube spray into the working parts (you'll have to disassemble it, which is not what I'd be doing).

Other alternatives are:

* Accept the noise as something that happens, all is normal

* Ensure that you get pollen filters installed to make sure dust doesn't get in and make things worse

* Insist that Nissan fix it and demand a loan vehicle for the entire period that you are without yours (good luck)

* Make sure the stereo starts first and you always have Sid Vicious on max volume in the unit (the noise is so similar, you won't be able to tell).

* Get new plates "NX 1701" and pretend that you're on the Starship Enterprise and it's just the outer docking doors opening preparing for your departure.

That silicone lube comes in a spray can like WD 40 (is also made by the same mob that makes WD 40) and can be purchased in Bunnings.

Nissans were the first car I every heard that noise on, back as early as 97 in the Pathfinders, the 01 Pulsar didn't have the sound but the 03 did as did subsequent Pathfinders the old man had, however the Forrestor didn't. Nissan must like it so much it's factory fitted to all models.

All my ford cars have that noise and while I can hear it, at least i know the diverter flaps are operating and not stuffed as tends to happen.

I have a noise involved with the Aircon in same conditions you talk about. sounds sort of like cogs grinding. It mainly happens when i change the mode of A/C e.g. Max to Demist. I think the car reverts to a certain state of vents/ac when off. So if you have a different mode selcted when you power the car up, it changes to that setting and reverts back when switching off.

I would discribe it more like the "Predator clicking sound"

If it is the same noise i have

Well there is some form of memory from the ECU because if you turn the demister on the AC turns on automatically but if you turn the AC off and then the ignition the AC doesn't come back on with the ignition and demister, as to other remembered states I'm not entirely sure. I do however think you still talking about the same sort of noise.

Thanks fellas that seems to be it , Thanks Tony ive got some of that silicon spray i use it on the harleys all the time but im not going to pull apart the aircon , I will leave that to nissan if i feel the need .

If I was you I'd cancel the order and order the same filters of ebay for $40 for two.

Even so there is a thread about the pollen filter which gives you the procedure, it is for an 09 but I doubt they changed much

Latest posts

Back