Winching Techniques

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a question to the wise
I have read that your not meant to move the vehicle while your winching.
Is there any truth to this?
The deal is this. Unlike many I have a winch mounted to the tow hitch and will be using the winch to pull race cars out of sand traps.
The question is can I drive the truck as well as winching in to get the car out of the sand quicker?

The actual set up is a 12,000lb Tigerz winch with Dyneema rope mounted to a hitch mount, powered by a Optima 750 CCA battery mounted in the tub. All connections via 50mm welding cable and 350A Anderson connectors.Also via Anderson connectors I made 4m jumper cables again in the 50mm welding cable.
Means I will be able to tow a car , jump start it and then with my compressed air setup blow up the tyres as well.

wouldnt recommend it. will put alot of pressure on the brake inside the winch. might not be such an issue with race cars as their not as heavy as a truck and im assuming youd be pulling them along bitumen.

You aren't supposed to attempt to drive out in case you lose traction and bounce back on the winch cable.

Doesn't really apply in your case.

The biggest issue is we are always under a time crunch as the longer we take the longer the race is under yellow flags. Others drive into the sand and get them but I am only in a 4x2. Its fast etc but doesnt work too well in the sand.
Under normal circumstances where they break and are just track side we drag them with straps. However if they are deep in a sand trap I need to stay on harder ground.
The only reason behind the question is once we get them moving we wont stop and will drag them on the top of the sand. If you stop you can have them drop down into the sand again.
I was just thinking once they are moving I would keep winching and just slowly drive so they come out of the sand quicker

The biggest issue is we are always under a time crunch as the longer we take the longer the race is under yellow flags. Others drive into the sand and get them but I am only in a 4x2. Its fast etc but doesnt work too well in the sand.
Under normal circumstances where they break and are just track side we drag them with straps. However if they are deep in a sand trap I need to stay on harder ground.
The only reason behind the question is once we get them moving we wont stop and will drag them on the top of the sand. If you stop you can have them drop down into the sand again.
I was just thinking once they are moving I would keep winching and just slowly drive so they come out of the sand quicker

You will put massive strain on the winch and it will not doubt wear exceptionally quicker than normal. I would just use two lengths of tow straps.

Yeah your right
I have 2 straps I use now. It might be that I winch to the point I can connect the straps and then tow them
Even though the traps arent always that large its sometimes that we have to drag at funny angles to get them out without actually going out on the track.
The other thing is the winch will be used at times to save wear and tear on the clutch.
Some of these cars get well and truely stuck .

I don't know how fast your Tigerz winch is, but my winch moves the cable in at around a little less than walking pace at best. If that is going to make a difference - it will in reality amount to a couple of seconds at the very outside - then just be prepared to replace the winch every so often and go for it.

Otherwise, I'd not bother with the winch - a quick hook up to the back of the car will probably be faster overall anyway, since you have to release the winch clutch, let out the cable, engage the clutch, then start the winching operation.

What sort of cars are you pulling out? I would pull the rope off your winch and get the other end spliced into a loop and use it as a super long tow rope and just drag them out.

Or buy a 4x4 ;)
Well pure fact is I couldnt afford one and I bought the truck for its height and comfort so a 22 wasnt an option lol

We work with everything from V8 Supercars to Jack Brabham prototypes to Go Karts .
The reason for the winch is we dont like to join straps as that can create weak points and really long straps have a nasty habit of getting in knots .And the winch saves my clutch
At most we will go 2 straps together with a safety blanket over the join
Eventually I will try to get a winch bar but for now the hitch mount for $45 was a much better deal

Two straps was my suggestion. One on the end of the winch cable and another off the hitch.

Winch in until the two overlap and someone joins the two, then you can slack off the winch cable until the weight/tug is on the cables. In the time it takes someone competent to shackle up the two straps, the vehicle being towed should not sink in.

Latest posts

Back