Waterlogged Navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tunerband

Reaction score
So I went out this morning for a bit of a drive with a mate, and I ended up stuck in the middle of a bog hole with water about halfway up the car.

By the time my mate had hooked up the recovery gear and pulled me out, the car was full of water up to the seats. (As per the picture)

I have a snorkel so I dont think any water got into the engine, but I am worried about the electrics and cleaning the carpet.

Any ideas on what I should check for and do now?

Attachments

• IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    36.4 KB
this happened to a mate with a brand new ranger a couple of weeks ago. we pulled his seats and centre console out, then pulled the carpet and underlay out. be extra careful with airbags and wiring. we disconnected his battery and unplugged srs airbag sensors and computer module under his seat. we also had to cut the carpet around the dash to get it all out.

he spent the week cleaning the car out and drying the carpet and underlay. could have ended a lot worse but still not ideal for a car with 1500kms on the clock and an apparent 800mm wading depth.

What a horrible thing to happen mate I feel your pain. The 800mm wading on the Ranger applies to while in motion, any make that bogs will fill with water very quickly when stopped in water that deep.

Was engine left running while you were recovered?
Does the car start?
do you have diff breathers?
You could have filled your diffs and gbox with water
Check all your fluid levels
Dry out the carpet

Take the carpet out and hose it, then spray the the floor and anywhere else thats uncovered, including any wiring with lanolin or some sort of water dispersant,

Mate i did the same thing to my d40 a few months back and just pulled the door sill trim off and propped the carpet up and dried most of it out with a hair dryer then left it in the sun with the doors open. In the rear i tucked the air con vent that is under the front seats under the carpet and left that running for a while and each time i drove it for a week. its still a bit dusty under the carpet. Then i took it to a car wash place and got them to clean the carpet.
Seemed to work ok it hasn't started to stink or go mouldy.

I just spent the afternoon cleaning out the doors, I popped off the trim, removed the speakers and hosed all the mud out, I'm taking it to the car wash tomorrow to see if they can clean the carpet.

Was engine left running while you were recovered?
Does the car start?
do you have diff breathers?
You could have filled your diffs and gbox with water
Check all your fluid levels
Dry out the carpet

The car was running the whole time, I had some moisture in the air box and filter but have now replaced the filter and the car is running fine, the only issue I have is the airbag light is on. I will have that checked out next week.

I have diff breathers installed, but I will check the fluids anyway.

Thank you for all the advice

The car was running the whole time, I had some moisture in the air box and filter but have now replaced the filter and the car is running fine, the only issue I have is the airbag light is on. I will have that checked out next week.

I have diff breathers installed, but I will check the fluids anyway.

Thank you for all the advice

Have you tried the fix for airbag light yet?Hugh

No, I dropped the car off at a car wash place this morning, from reading the manual the warning light will come on when there is a fault with either the air bags or seat belt restraining system. As I got a wet butt whilst sitting on the seat, I reckon I have drowned the electrics into the chair/seatbelt. I haven't had a chance to investigate yet tho.

The mechanic ended up replacing the SRS module, as it had submerged in water and shorted out. This module is apparently located centrally in the vehicle inside the cabin, in order to activate the seatbelts and airbags.

The new module has fixed the issue with the Airbags/SRS (the light is no longer showing) and my car is running fine. I am currently looking at making an insurance claim for the cleaning and the work to replace the module.

The mechanic ended up replacing the SRS module, as it had submerged in water and shorted out. This module is apparently located centrally in the vehicle inside the cabin, in order to activate the seatbelts and airbags.

The new module has fixed the issue with the Airbags/SRS (the light is no longer showing) and my car is running fine. I am currently looking at making an insurance claim for the cleaning and the work to replace the module.

Don't claim anything on n insurance they will right it off!

I went through a different section that was deeper and longer, I was probably going just a little too slow, lost traction, lost momentum and came to a halt....

Latest posts

Back