Water in snorkle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosery

Reaction score
I got stuck last nite in a river crossing and the nav just stalled on me no noise just died. The water wasnt that deep about upto bottom of my spotties. Anyway obviously the snorkle leaks and it sucked up water cos opened the air box and water was in there. The oil on the dipstick isnt milky. Anyway long story short ute wont start. What am i up for or what damage have i possible done?

Maybe bent conrods, valves or any number of internal components. Does the motor turn over? You might be lucky enough to remove the glow plugs, empty the water out of the pistons and restart.

Not a good feeling, i've been there but was lucky enough to realise and shut it down before it seized.

I would have thought the air filter is a little higher than the bottom of your spotties so water shouldn't have been sucked up and into the intake.

If you have water in your cylinders and you turn over the engine you risk a hydraulic lock, which will damage the engine rather badly. To avoid this, do as Blacknav said - pull the glows out and you can safely crank the motor. This should help expel the water.

If you HAVE turned over the engine and it just won't start, then there's got to be some reason for this. Check the fuel primer bulb - squeeze it about 5 or 6 times. It should go hard. Make sure the air cleaner is clean and dry. There's not a lot more that the diesel actually needs to start - air and fuel.

I'd have to wonder if the fuel tank has taken any water in? That could cause problems, because diesel will float on water sending the water straight to the fuel pickup. Water can damage the fuel pump and the injectors. This should set off a water alarm in your dash - I think we need to hear from Tweak'e on this, he'd know.

I would have thought the air filter is a little higher than the bottom of your spotties so water shouldn't have been sucked up and into the intake.

I only had to drive through water that probably wasn't even 300mm deep just a little on the fast side to suck water into my motor. Bought a snorkel after that, installed it myself and went to town with the silicone.

I sucked up some water before i fitted a snorkel to my D22, only i tiny little bit got down its throat, BUT that was enough to crack the Head!!
You only need a teaspoon of cold water on a really hot piece of ally like the head and wham...... you have cracks or maybe be the head gasket

how did u seal the join where it comes thru the side wall into the engine bay, stupid design right there

just heads up next time...test the snorkel before going on trips eg remove the ram and block it..if it stalls then shes sealed ok..but dont do it all the time cause it will stress the seals...

just curious...was it factory fitted by a 15 yr old apprentive?? heard a lot of bad stories about factory fittings.

Thanks for the help everyone. As i am not very mechanical minded im taking it to my mechanic today to get looked at. Hopefully its not all bad news. About water in fuel tank Tony i dont think it could of got there because i didnt get all the way into the water only front end was under. With what damage could of been done how much will it cost or is it going tobe a insurance job?

If your engine block is cracked it's a disaster, but you said that the water was only up to the bottom of the spotties and the rear of the car wasn't in the water.

Assuming they're not roof-mounted spotties, the damage is probably minimal - it could just be a bit of muck in an electrical connection.

Have you tried cranking the engine over - what happens, does the motor actually turn but fail to start, or does it not even try to turn?

I tried cranking it once and it turned over but didnt start. Than tried again but it didnt turn over it just made like a clicking noise. But i didnt want to keep trying in case i did more damage

That clicking sounds like a dead battery to me. That's weird. Hope everything is sweet. I heard these aren't cheap to repair

+1 on the battery. You'll hear the solenoid click as it brings the bar down to connect power to the starter, which draws so much current that the solenoid can't hold the bar down and it releases.

Put a multimeter on the battery. Chances are it's well below 12V. It should be sitting at 12.8V or higher if it's in good nick.

Yeah i thought the clicking was battery but my battery monitor is reading 12.3 is that enough to crank it over. Well its on charge now anyways. I mite try turning it over once its charged and see what happens. Once again thanks for the help everyone

Starter may be clicking because the engines in hydraulic lock. Try and turn the engine over by hand before you attempt to start it.

Well i took my nav to the mechanics today. (very sad site the nav on a trailer) On only a brief look they said it doesnt look good. They recon there is a fair chance i need a new short motor. But will no more in the next few days hopefully. Looks like ill have bad news for my insurer tho haha

Latest posts

Back