Vert load rating on Tow Bar

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyGilroy

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just bought a new D22 and I'm a bit sketchy about lugging my MX bike around with the tail gate down. I'm pretty sure I'll end up buying a trailer but I came across this setup that allows you to carry a bike on the tow bar.

dsc01179.jpg

Obviously the D22's can tow up to 2,800 Kg but I'm wondering if anyone knows what the vertical load rating is on them.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

The info on tow ball down load and towing capacity is on the ID tag on the edge of the drivers door.
The down load is 80kg which is a lot less than your bike and the carrier combined.

i've always been intrigued by those tow hitches, have seem some even load up cargo boxes, etc.

I had the Nissan Heavy Duty towbar and I'm sure it was marked 150kg down load.

I've just double checked the ID tag as Tony suggested. The weight is actually based on the general vehicle mass or GVM. With everything stock standard the rating is at GVM + 80kg. If you were to start stripping things from the ute, the rating could go as high as 250kg as you substitute the attachment for the weight you remove. Or at least that's my understanding.

Last edited:
They may be OK for lightish bikes, but I don't think I'd trust it going off road. I have seen a few Australia post utes around here with them on the back for postie bikes, but obviously they aren't very heavy...

It will handle it without issue but i still wouldnt go there. I know a bloke that carts a 450 on the back of a triton with one has done for years with no issue. Another mate that tows camper with 250on the drawbar the ball weight is a bit crazy but still has no ill effects.
So it will be fine but istill woulnt go there personally

Latest posts

Back