under tray battery

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt c

Reaction score
hi new to the forum
just wondering if anyone has mounted there second battery under there tray an how it handles water crossings or if you need to put it some sort of sealed box

Welcome to the forum.

You can't seal the battery in the box, it could lead to an explosion.

You can do it with Gel batteries - they can get wet without too many problems, and they don't have the lead battery posts like a normal battery.

That said, people do water crossings with their starter battery under the bonnet and they seem to come out okay. The battery would have to be held underwater for some time before it became an issue.

Just don't stick it in an airtight box. Batteries can give off hydrogen and that's dangerous.

I've been informed as long as the terminals are well greased there are no issues with water crossings.... As Tony said.

thanks guys I was thinking of putting it in a box with some 50mm pipe running up the head board to a higher point for air flow
any thoughts?

Personally I don't think it's a huge problem, my 2nd battery doesn't have air flow sure it sits in a box that is slightly bigger than it but it doesn't have flowing air across it. As long as there is some gap you will be fine, as for a 50mm pipe that would be more than enough.

Latest posts

Back