UHF antenna cable joiner?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooba_285

Reaction score
hi, i put a winch on the other weekend and couldnt be bothered disconnecting the uhf cable when i took the bullbar off so i just cut it, my question is, is there a connector i can get to join the cable back together? im hoping jaycar sell them but thought i would see if anyone has gone this way before
cheers

U can get a male and a female PL259 type or BNC types from a shop or from Egay....

new coax is better as a join means loss.

I'd just use solder and heat shrink if I was to join but agree with Krankin, where possible unjoined cable is better.

Suggest you join using a male to female BNC connectors. Losses are minimal and you can easily disconnect if the bull bar needs to be removed again. However I would suggest you tape up the BNC connectors with electrical tape or self amalgamating tape.

and i would insist you do a SWR on the system after said reconnection of cut coax as you may gain more than just minimal loss from the experience.

I connected mine with one of the little cheaper jaycar hobbies and haven't had a problem
At all

You can get coax joiners from jaycar or dick smith for about $3. But as mentioned before a cable without joins is going to be much better.

and i would insist you do a SWR on the system

How do you do that?
I'm accustomed to having to tune aerials in the HF range, but that was decades ago. so I was quizzical about the ease of just swapping the hand held UHF's stubby aerial for either of an external unity or 6/9db gain aerial.

Is there something built into modern UHF to auto compensate, or at 5watts, it doesn't matter that much?

How do you do that?
I'm accustomed to having to tune aerials in the HF range, but that was decades ago. so I was quizzical about the ease of just swapping the hand held UHF's stubby aerial for either of an external unity or 6/9db gain aerial.

Is there something built into modern UHF to auto compensate, or at 5watts, it doesn't matter that much?

Doesnt matter..1, 2 or 5 Watts, if the swr is bad....no good for transciever.
UHF ants...dont need tuning (generaly) but sometimes you may get a bad antenna, or you may nick the coax and not realise, etc, etc....but u need a swr meter to check this anyway....i personally wouldnt and dont run my radios without doing this simple check.

Latest posts

Back