UHF aerials, dBi, SWR & mounting options for d22 with no bulbar

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Figgy

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new on the forum. And yes I've used the search bar...
But I'm chasing some info on aerials and ways to mount them if you don't have a bullbar. I also want to know if someone can explain this SWR business. I understand that a lower dBi means better in hilly country and vice versa. But I've never heard of SWR.
Also, what are some of you guys running for aerials??

Cheers

SWR = Short Wave Radio...

I put mine on the passenger side bonnet reccess using a 'Z' bracket bought from Supercheap Auto..

Like this
boot-bonnet-bracket-examples.jpg

SWR is standing wave ratio. I'm sure some of the serious radio guys on here will jump in and help out in better detail but it's about matching the coax cable and antenna to the output of the radio; for instance an antenna which is made for a different frequency band than the one your radio works in will lead to a high reflected power, which reduces your transmitting power.

Bullbars are pretty crappy spots to mount an antenna but they're convenient. In the middle of your roof is ideal as you've got an expansive, 'almost' circular ground plane and limited obstructions, at work that's where we mount ours, but people understandably don't like drilling holes in their roofs and it looks pretty weird.

Second best would probably be as Black_Outlaw has suggested, but you cop the effect of the top of the cab blocking the antenna.

Dion is onto it. Most UHF CB's these days have ground independent bases so the radiation pattern is not affected by the vehicle. Not by much anyway. However as stated when mounting on the bullbar the cabin does slightly block the signal. Having the the antenna above the roof line is best but not by much.

If the antenna is not ground independent, then sure best place is the middle of the roof, followed by the top of the front mudguard. Most antennas you buy now days have the matching 50 ohm coax and plug provided. Generally SWR adjustment is not required for UHF CB antennas. In the old days of HF CB it was a very necessary thing. That involved trimming or extending the antenna so there was less reflected (potentially damaging) power back to the set.

Latest posts

Back