Turbo sound

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidburn

Reaction score
I want my navara to sound like the big patrols I see getting around, big turbo wind up, low pitch gargling through exhaust. Can anyone recommend what I need to do/buy to make this happen?

Welcome to the forum.

Bigger engines produce bigger sound. However, you can remove everything from the turbo back and install a custom dump pipe + 3" straight through (no muffler, no CAT) and you'll be part of the way there. I have to add here that doing this is NOT legal, but it is done often enough and you don't hear of too many people being pinged for it.

The 2.5L revs higher than the 4.2L engine - so the pitch of the sound generated by the exhaust will always be higher unless you keep your revs down (which means you won't have as much power). Get a chip that provides you with more torque down low (preferably one that adjusts the turbocharger, like ChipIt/Unichip), add diesel gas and you will add more beans - and might get far enough towards what you're after to be happy.

If you want to hear the turbo whistle, you can also consider removing the baffling from the air intake - there's one in the air filter box, and another just outside the turbo.

And a snorkel will get the turbo whistling a bit more. All up including the mods Tony listed is alot of cash just for sound though (exhaust / dump, snorkel, chip etc). But will give you more free flowing power as well.

But it wont ever sound like a 4.2 TD. Those things sound shit hot.

Also the intercooler hard pipe upgrade helps with noise too.

Or remove the standard air box and fit an Apollo filter

There's a baffle IN the air filter box, let me find a thread with that in it ... here's the thread, and I have a pic of the baffle in the airbox here:

attachment.php

The other baffle is in the pressurised line not far out of the turbo and fixed to the side of the engine. It's not hard to miss, here's a pic from my garage that shows it and its location - look near where I've labelled it "turbocharged air":

6494.jpg

I pulled my airbox apart and didn't see the baffle. I wonder if the design changed. Mines a 2011 stx d40.

I didn't have a baffle in my 2013 st either. The side was packed with foam however pulled that out not sure if it's made a difference. Old tony I have a hard pipe now so I believe that baffle is also gone correct

What everyone has said is spot on. Other then the baffle but that could be something to do with the change in turbo set, I'm sure there would have be baffle somewhere tho. Basicly the D40 has a one of a kind turbo(thanks OLD TONY). And yeah unless you chop it off at the dump pipe you'll never get the the sound you are looking for. Even then no. We have a stright 4 they have a Stright 6 like you'll never get a V6 petrol sounding like a V8. I'd start with removing that 22 gallon drum of a muffler. I was under my d40 a few weeks back and couldnt find a CAT so that may or may not be a problem. I'm replacing the drum with a hotdog off a eco tec. I'll let people know how that goes.

Tiger I went straight through pipe on mine. Didn't make it any louder I think, it sounds the same at idle. However it does have a nice flutter when changing gears

Tiger I went straight through pipe on mine. Didn't make it any louder I think, it sounds the same at idle. However it does have a nice flutter when changing gears

Pretty much it with newer car. Only thing that may make a different is remover the exhaust all together.

Was thinking of dropping it straight from the block but I don't think the coppers or my neighbors would appreciate it

Even the TD42 Patrols, to get that sound they are running a custom dump pipe that retains internal diameter of 3 inches or so, then a straight thru exhaust, no muffler, no cats, no hot dogs and a fair few utes and dual cabs will dump before the diff aswell for two reasons, it sounds better and secondly th ebend that goes over the rear diff is actually the most expensive part of a 3" mandrel bent system because of all the bending in it.

I've had two, both sounded slightly different, a dual cab dumping before the diff with a str8 thru hot dog, just took a little bit of drone out of it at say 100kmph, and a wagon with a full 3" straight thru all the way to the back of the car, no mufflers, no nothing, sounded deeper.

You'll never match the sound because there's no firing order overlap in a 4cylinder car, so you get "gaps" in the airflow thru the exhaust.

Latest posts

Back