Turbo Question / help please

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guggisberg

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I'm Pat from Perth. I just bought a 2014 STR D22 from a dealer. Absolutely love it but I am slightly concerned that there may be a problem with the turbo. The car was quite weak when I took it off road and there is a hissing sound from the turbo and at times it feels weak other times it feels ok. I have extended the new car warranty until 2020 but I am not what I would say when I call the dealer. I am not even sure if something is wrong or if it is just not a powerful as I thought it would be?? Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

cheers
Pat Guggisberg.

sounds like you could have an air / vacumm leak somewhere around the turbo area or even the turbo mounting bolts to manifold could be abit lose. try and get close to the area of concern with the engine running as you might pick up what is making this sound. you shouldn,t get this sound atall. if you can,t find the sound take it to the dealers mechanic and let them check it out.

Get someone to rev it up while you are under the bonnet, probably on/off in a stabbing motion would be the best way to get boost without redlining the engine too much while stationary. A manifold leak will sound like somewhere between a ticking noise and a chopper depending on how bad it is. A boost leak will sound like a hissing or whooshing.

thanks for the replies guys! do you think if I bring it to a mechanic this will be covered under the new car warranty? another thing is also sometimes black smoke comes out of the exhaust...

thanks again for the replies!

They run rich from factory (16:1 AFR's) you can stop most of the black smoke by blocking the EGR (look up this mod on the forum). It will also help the turbo spool a little earlier. Unfortunately the YD25 is a slug until you block the EGR, wind the boost up a bit and add a little more fuel. It also has a Non VNT turbo which means it will suffer from some lag low in the rev range

Latest posts

Back