Tub & cab flex independently?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justdrinkbeer

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if the cab & tub flex independently of each other or not?
Just wondering if its possible to put a roof rack between the two or if it will cause problems

Many of the guys in the states were over doing it with the trucks and finding the tub was actually hitting the back of the cab .The tub not only will move forwards and backwards but also side to side.

I had to get my tub adjusted as after i had my Nav repaired at smash repairs they didnt align it properly and ended up with an irritating knocking noise. All fixed now though. Nissan do sell a roof bar for the rear canopy that spans across the side rails but i think its pretty expensive.

Someone here, I think it might have been Bosshog, had his tub rub against the cabin and wear away the paint, I can't remember Nissan's response but it's in these threads somewhere.

Well you can just don't mount on both the cab and the canopy/tub. I've seen them over hang the cabin at least half way to the front window just means you have to engineer the thing to withstand the weight you plan to want to hold.

My tub also wore away paint on the cab. The difference in movement is deffinetly noticeable on heavy corragations.

I've seen a Navara D40 with ladder racks front and rear, with plumbing pipes attached to the top. It can be done, but you can't put anything up there too rigidly. If you wanted to pop a sea kayak up there, you'd have to mount it securely at one end, and just stop it from bouncing too much at the other. If it were too stiffly attached, it could be damaged.

The body mounts under the cabin are independent to the tub mounts.

I noticed my canopy moving around compared to the cab on some tracks, was amazed at the amount though. I have seen some tradies d40s and d22s with rigid bars spanning across both carrying ladders etc, but I would say this is only for around town driving. As for on the tracks, no way.

Given that the majority of canopies (I'm sure I read in other threads you were after a canopy at some stage) only hold about 100kg's on their racks making a rack system that mounted to the tub/canopy racking system and hung out over the roof line of the cabin would be easy and it wouldn't require a heap of work to make rigid enough to hold 100kogs front to back.

If you were to make an independent rack which used tube bars on the outside of the canopy you could make the thing even stronger than the 100kg limit without too much effort, and with a bit more effort you could make the thing hold 200kgs easy.

As has been said - It's not too hard to develop a full length system that wont be rigid. I have two bars mounted to the tub & a rack that bolts to them. The rack comes 1/3 of the way across the cab - but it's possible to go further. You will need to use heavier wall-thickness material & you'll need to brace it well. If the camera is still in the truck I'll take some pics of mine tonight to give you an idea of what I'm on about.

I also have the capacity for a hoop to sit on the bull bar onto which I can load my kayak - with all the movement in my bull bar there's no way its ever going to be too rigid.

N

I'm in the process of doing something similar, I need to carry a 12 ft tinny, the main weight will be carried by racks attached through the canopy, with a frame extending out over the cab and flexibly coupled to 1 roof bar as a steady, I'll post pics when it's done.. the tinny only weighs 110kg, but catches a lot of wind

Well you can just don't mount on both the cab and the canopy/tub. I've seen them over hang the cabin at least half way to the front window just means you have to engineer the thing to withstand the weight you plan to want to hold.

YOU talking about me again Krafty? .... thats the way i had my 6" arb frame set up - it was at least half way over the rear doors of the cab, but ONLY mounted to the canopy roof racks.

Latest posts

Back