Topping up transfer oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 5942

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know with engine oil it is not recommended to top-up with anything different than what's already there (i.e. mixing synthetic and mineral, etc).

Is it the same with transfer oil? The level is a bit too low but I am not sure whether I should just top-up with whateva or should I drain the oil and replace it completely.

And generally speaking same question for diff oil and transmission oil, can you just top-up with anything or better replace the whole thing?

Thanks!

provided the oil is compatible its ok to top up with something different. but it still has to be the same type ie gear oil.
what can make it tricky with transfer box is you can use 2 different types eg automatic gear box oil or manual trans oil. if unknown its better to drain and refill.

also check the gearbox level hasn't gone high.

Thanks!

also check the gearbox level hasn't gone high.

Just wondering .. why do you say that? Is it possible for oil to "drift" from the transfer case to the gear box and can it happen the other way around?

its all depend on the product quality. If you car manufacturer is authorizing using that engine oil then it should be not a problem.

Latest posts

Back