Top of engine intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingfisher01

Reaction score
Hi all, gone from a TVR all hands on, to several years of easy driving type motors, and now have a Nissan Navara D22 2004 2.5 4 x 4, so back to hands on.

Just wondering, I'm presuming this is an intercooler of some type, but what is it actually doing sat so obvious on top of the engine. First time I've seen one like this.

Thank You

engine top view.jpg

It certainly is an intercooler. D22, designed to get air in from the bonnet scoop and draw it down to provide the cooling to the charge air within. Had several reports of boost leaks from the seams, easily identified by the black oily emissions at the split.

Some people prefer a TMIC to one in front where the extra heat can impact the radiator and air conditioning. Others like it the other way around.

Thanks Old.Tony - just a guess here, but I'm presuming the air is flowing from right to left, as we look at this photo ??? That is, in from the back right, through the intercooler and then out on the left at the front with the 90 degree angle pipe we can see on the left ??? Thank You...

Thanks Old.Tony - just a guess here, but I'm presuming the air is flowing from right to left, as we look at this photo ??? That is, in from the back right, through the intercooler and then out on the left at the front with the 90 degree angle pipe we can see on the left ??? Thank You...

Yes. The 90 degree angle pipe on the left is attached to the inlet manifold. At the very bottom of that connection in the photo is a small pipe which is probably the EGR input.

It certainly is an intercooler. D22, designed to get air in from the bonnet scoop and draw it down to provide the cooling to the charge air within. Had several reports of boost leaks from the seams, easily identified by the black oily emissions at the split.

Some people prefer a TMIC to one in front where the extra heat can impact the radiator and air conditioning. Others like it the other way around.
The problem with a top mount can be when vehicle speed is slow, such as on a beach in soft sand reving the box off it. The heat soak from the engine can negate the effect of the intercooler. A fan on a top mount can make a big difference.
I imagine this is why most newer TDs have front mounts?
Luckily my ZD30 doesn't have one at all😔😒

The problem with a top mount can be when vehicle speed is slow, such as on a beach in soft sand reving the box off it. The heat soak from the engine can negate the effect of the intercooler. A fan on a top mount can make a big difference.
I imagine this is why most newer TDs have front mounts?
not really.
there is other factors at play like damage done to people in low speed crash, ie how a person rolls over the bonnet.
structural factors of the bonnet and how it performs in a crash.
packaging requirements. a lot cheaper to have the IC mounted on the motor before installation.
engine height vers bonnet height. a tall engine may not have room for top mount IC.

pretty much every other factor gets looked at before off road performance is even looked at.

Latest posts

Back