thinking of selling a d22 for the d40?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navdog_d40

Reaction score
iv herd problems with the d40.. but not sure how many are true ?
i like my d22 but its time for change .. so i was thinking d40 or hilux.

looking to do some touring with my girlfriend want to set it up as a 4x4 too.
cheers thanks guys
:wash_truck:

Al said:
hilux? wash your mouth out son

I dunno. I'd seriously look at a Hilux over a d40....

But, seriously, if I was selling the nav, I'd look at a cruiser or a patrol. No point in downgrading...

my next car will most likely be an 80's series. such a great car.
but almost anything with a live front axle* would be better in my opinion.

Last edited:
DomHogan said:
my next car will most likely be an 80's series. such a great car.
but almost anything with a SAS would be better in my opinion.

Haha. SAS = Solid Axle Swap. I think you mean a live front axle.

But yes, I totally agree.

yeah thats the one. haha woops. was reading about the swap about 10 seconds before posting that.

That would be it Tappet,as for the others,does it really hurt that much
not having one in the driveway? :sarcastic:

I don't mind the ifs up front so if I was looking to change it maybe anything but a holden or Toyota or Mitsubishi. So Ford ranger, Mazda BT50 (have already owned one and loved it), patrol ute or wagon. Probably the only car you can really setup for touring and wknd offroading with the mates would be a patrol. Leaf sprung cars rely on you either having weight all the time or having no loads being the reason for heavy and comfort load springs. As for coils even with hd coils you can still flex really well.

Rusty

I bought my d22 new and had it for five years, in that time it done (as i have said many times before) over 350'000km. I used it for a work truck and for all my holiday/camping and 4wd trips. sadly it was written off in march, so i needed a new ute. My 14yr old daughter and my wife pleaded with me to get a bigger ute as they were both sick of the long trips cramped up, although this didnt worry me, (lol) i agreed to look at some other options.

To cut an already long story short i ended up with the D40 ST and i am very happy with it.
It has now done 40'000km and has not been in for any warranty claims.
The D40 is being used for the exact same purpose as the D22.
I will admit that there is a slight difference in its off road ability but in all honesty there isnt much in it, yeah you loose a little bit on ramp over and the limo does work better in the D22. But the D40 is still dragging the hilux's out all the time.
compared to the D22 it has more room, more power, more mod cons in the cab as standard, handles better and smoother on the road.
dont get me wrong i love the D22 but i will still say the D40 is great ute! especcially for the price.

Sorry guys.. I need a ute coz I'm a carpet layer so it's work ute 80% of the time I like the look of the d40 but no point in getting a d40 if there no good might as we'll put money in to my d22 but thew little problems that are getting me down the paint looks like it's starting to come of my roof and the gear box is a bit clunky ....so it's do I spend the money on fixing the d22 or move on ? I need to lift it also needs a snorkel . Cheers

Sorry guys.. I need a ute coz I'm a carpet layer so it's work ute 80% of the time I like the look of the d40 but no point in getting a d40 if there no good might as we'll put money in to my d22 but thew little problems that are getting me down the paint looks like it's starting to come of my roof and the gear box is a bit clunky ....so it's do I spend the money on fixing the d22 or move on ? I need to lift it also needs a snorkel . Cheers

Dont think that the D40 is no good, as i said before, personally i have had no probs with mine. Im a metal roofer and my D40 is used mostly for work, and it does the job perfectly, and when i want to go bush it does that well to.
There is allot of people on here that have complaints about the current d22 also, BUT this is the place where you will see problems, most people dont come on here at first to rave about their navara, they come on here with a problem.
if you look on the NewHilux.net forum there is allot of complaints about the hilux and lack of warranty support, like i said i think that goes hand in hand with any specific forum. It is far easier to find complaints as opposed to glowing reviews.
Any way in my opinion if you want a D40 then go for it

All friendly banter aside, the major differences between the D22 and D40 are:

D40 - wider wheeltrack, more stable
D22 - shorter wheelbase, better rampover
(there's not that much difference in the above, really)
D22 - marginally better fuel economy

Now the big differences that matter. The D40 has more power, more cabin space, comes in an auto, has much more comfortable seats, bigger alternator, better ride from factory.

The D22 can be modified to get similar ponies, it can have its suspension modified too. Both can be lifted similar amounts. You can install D40 seats in the D22, but you can't stretch the cabin so that your teenage kids can fit in there comfortably.

The D40 base price is significantly higher than the D22.

You DO get what you pay for. The D40 is a fine vehicle. I have driven D22s and they're not bad, but the level of refinement in the D40 is better. I'm very happy with my D40.

As Nathan has pointed out, people will complain about a vehicle loudly, but will rarely mention it if things are working to their satisfaction. I think that when it's working properly, it's a tool that we paid for and since it's doing its job there's no need to make a fuss. When it goes wrong, then it's time to make a deal about it.

That's why in places like this we DO see many complaints and few praises.

Did I mention that my wiper washers are just superb and haven't given me any trouble at all?

I was going to say I love my D40 & have no issues but then after reading O.T's post I remembered that my only niggle would be trying to keep the vehicle in overdrive when towing my largish van (O.T reminds me of caravaning :) )
I am now thinking of some modification for a little more torque. Perhaps a chip? Not that I need one as the only time it would be of benefit to me would when towing.

That's the problem with the forum. I see people adding this, lifting that etc etc. So many ideas! I now have a list that will probably never end, of things which I would never have previously considered.

Bugger them! :big_smile:

Last edited:
I've had both a D22( loved it) and a D40 and anyone who tells you the D40 is less a 4WD then the D22 has got hold of themselves and suffers from envy. both have there positives and negatives.
D22
1. is a more capable 4WD staight out of show room, as it has more ground clearance.
2. the torsion bar suspension is not the most comfortable ride, although more comfy them my sisters colorado.
3. they are very reliable, not much goes wrong.
4. less caban space and less tray space.
5. the 2.5 has improved the D22 big time giving it the power it needed with out having too get the 3.3 V6(which I had and thought it was great).

D40
1. Has wider wheel track which give the vehicle a better centre of gravity, same principle as patrol.
2. ground clearance is easly fixed.
3. more power.
4. more caban space, comfier seats, more tray space.
5. week front diff, who the hell make a diff out of alloy :rant:

I loved my D22, But! if your willing to spend the money I think the D40 is better in the long run

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back