Sqeeky Sqeeky

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burnsey

Reaction score
Hi guys,

new member, first time posting. I have bought a d22 STR. It developed a sqeeky noise @ 140k I was replaced the hydrolic tentioner as it was leaky, the tentioner pulley and belt... Ran fine for two days but the noise has returned. short of replacing every pulley any ideas?

thanks

Welcome to the forums

Are you sure the noise is in the engine bay?

Can you pin point it to any one area?

Is the noise all the time or only at certain revs/speed/temps?

There is probably more questions that might help someone narrow down a possible solution but that were what I thought of.

Welcome to the forum!

If you suspect it's a belt, you could try some Dri-Lube on the inside of the belt. That stuff has caused slipping issues in the past for some people, I've used it myself on my cars and haven't had any dramas but your mileage may vary.

Alternatively it could be a bearing. Fastest way to figure that is to grab a can of Silicone Lube (made by WD40 company, available in Bunnings etc) and put a squirt on the bearing itself, be careful not to hit the belt.

Also, give the cooling fan a spin by hand. It should resist turning, but should be absolutely smooth.

Other things that can squeak: water pump, alternator, suspension, turbocharger ... there are ways to isolate these.

Suspension will ONLY squeak when you've physically moved the vehicle so that the shocks move up and down. If the squeak happens while the car is motionless and nobody's climbing in or out, it is NOT your suspension.

Turbocharger only really starts spinning above about 1200-1300rpm. If you get the squeak at idle, it is NOT your turbocharger. If you think it IS your turbocharger, stop the engine immediately. A blown turbocharger may equal a destroyed motor if it lets go.

If the alternator is squeaking, it could get change when the alternator gets heavily loaded. Start the car, turn on EVERY electrical item (headlights, driving lights, stereo, plug stuff in to the cig lighters too).

Back to that turbocharger - if you suspect it, do the following:

* turn off the engine
* thoroughly clean your hands and the outside of the air pipe leading into the turbo
* remove the air pipe that bolts to the front of the turbo
* give the turbo's shaft a spin and wiggle.

If you can wiggle it, it's gotta come out for a bearing replacement. If you spin it and it feels in the slightest bit rough, bearings need replacing. It should be absolutely smooth, no gritty feel, and solidly spinning without any noticeable wobble at all. Oh, and do NOT start the engine, under any circumstances, if the turbocharger is showing signs of damage like this!

The waterpump will make noise at any time (regardless of warm/cold engine) so if it's not any of the others, suspect this and get someone to lend you a stethoscope to have a listen to it.

Good luck!

the sqeek ony comes on above 2000rpms. its deff coming from the front of the motor... The sound is intermitant on idel, and the sqeek gets worse when i put the air con on..

thanks for the speedy responces guys

Jump in and take a look at that turbocharger shaft then, just to be on the safe side.

If it gets worse when the aircon is on, you'd have to suspect the bearings in the compressor. It's a $1,000 throw-away item, you can't repair it (because the compressor manufacturers don't sell the parts).

That doesn't mean it isn't the idler pulley bearings that get more stressed as the aircon compressor takes up the load - but first things first, take a good look at the turbo and make sure it's not that, because if it is, it's an engine-killer. Get that worry out of the way and we'll move on from there.

my nav has the same problem i have narrowed it down to the bearing on the pulley on the pump i have had a little look at the manual and i think i should be able to replace the bearing when i get the clutch plate and pulley off.

Latest posts

Back