Spares to carry in everyday driving.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dave

Coming back from Singleton this morning/last night sitting on 100km/h I hit a hill which I am use to hitting everyday, so I put the foot down and the turbo spools up to 15psi and all of a sudden I hear Pshhhhhhhhhhh.

Anyway I figure its a boost leak so pull into a truck stop rest area after several swear words.

I pop the bonnet and get the trusty nokia out as my torch to see which hose came off, after searching I find the hose, looking around for the clamp. Beep and multiple beeps I find the clamp sitting on the skirt. If I didn't find it it would of been a tilt tray ride home as I didn't have any spare clamps in the ute.

Silly me, I have spare silicon hose behind the back seat but no clamps.

So people grab some spare clamps. This can happen to anyone with a YD25 or a D22 ZD30 owner intercooled or not.

Dave.

Bloody lucky you found it! I would have been filthy, and if the mrs was in the car I'd still be hearing about it. Makes me think what spares & tools everyone carries with them?!?

I have a small assortment like screwdrivers, shifter, zip ties, tape, cutters, and a few other bits-n-pieces. I think I'll get a few jubilee clips now too. Thanks for the heads up Dave. Never hurts to be prepared.

lets see, behind my seats of the cruiser...

air compressor
400A jumper cables
mid sized first aid kit
1/2 inch socket set 8-19mm with matching spanners 8-19mm (sidchrome kit)
bag with used snatch strap and shackle
fluro vest
stock car bottle jack and jack bars
basic tool kit of long nose pliers, side cutters, flat head, philips head x 2, stanley knife, cable ties, screw extractor kit, stripped bolt/nut remover kit, lock jaws, adjustable lockjaws, circlip pliers, duct tape, multimeter (i think thats all?)
2 new snatch straps
bottles of spare brake/clutch fluid
bag of rope
bag of chain with lock
wheel brace
filtered funnel
siphon hose
crow bar
hatchet
machete
fire extinguisher (4kg jobbie)
sunscreen (summer time)
ratchet straps
soldering iron
solder
1000w inverter (well under the seat technically)
3 spare engine belts
spare oil filter
spare fuel filter
spare prefuel filter
another shackle
tub of general purpose grease
few rags
ammo box fuel of other bits and bobs, spare tools
tyre goo sealant stuff
dustpan and brush

and thats all i can remember off the top of my head, LOL

Jesus that's allot of stuff. But I guess it is a yota and there is a good chance you will have to use most of it sooner or later. Lol ;)

ayy!

fire extinguisher was only used once, and not on my car!

all my mates say "what dont you have?"

lol, my mates uhf radio blew up on the last trip so i ripped out my spare uniden sundowner and hooked it up to his car haha

Terry not sure what size, my Nav does 500-1000km's a week so see's more blacktop then most Nav's.

Will, I was lucky as it it the skirt and stayed there. Only held me up for 10 mins.

George, I have a similar ammount of crap behind the back seat and in the tray.

My work bag has a soldering iron.

Dave.

Hair dryer, curling wand, 14 different sizes of combs 4 pairs of scissors and a nose hair clippers (D22 need some TLC too)

Figured no one had come up with a real tool kit yet so I jumped in before someone came out with an ill formed opinion.

My work bag has a soldering iron.

Dave.

the beauty about the inverter is that i can easily power my 80w Weller (big tip one).

however last weekend i found that i didnt have an extension cord to work on my mates car. luckily i left it for a while to get pretty dam hot and just unplugged it.

they sure hold their heat well!

love Weller's

Hi Guys

I see Dave has said it was caught in a skirt.The Question is was he wearing the skirt ???:sarcastic: Or had he been to see Tony about a getting his hair cut???You have to watch those D40 drivers with their hair dryers :hahaha:

Seriously with the amount of km's you do very week you should carry some spares.
The most common one's that I carry are radiator hoses,fan belt,hose clamps,zip ties and a basic tool kit.
If all else fails call NRMA.

Shane

If you are caught without a hose clamp then use some wire and twist it around twice then tighten up by pulling and twisting the two ends with the pliers. Fencing wire can do more things than a hose clamp so carry it before hose clamps.

Cheers

Fencing wire is good for many things when it comes to on road repairs a mate's cruiser spent 16 months with fencing wire holding one engine mount in.

Just don't make the mistake of using high tensile or barbed wire, neither are terribly effective and require too much work to make effective.

Hi Guys

I see Dave has said it was caught in a skirt.The Question is was he wearing the skirt ???:sarcastic: Or had he been to see Tony about a getting his hair cut???You have to watch those D40 drivers with their hair dryers :hahaha:

Seriously with the amount of km's you do very week you should carry some spares.
The most common one's that I carry are radiator hoses,fan belt,hose clamps,zip ties and a basic tool kit.
If all else fails call NRMA.

Shane

Yeah in the tray there is a socket set and ring spanners, behind the back seat has cable ties, silicon hose, a fire extinguiser, fire blanket, smaller clamps for fuel lines etc, about 6 of each fuse, spare fuel filter, air filter, duct tape but forgot the intercooler clamps.

Good thinking, I will grab a spare radiator hoses.

I got the longrange tank fitted so I could fill up where the fuels good and go to where I needed to and get home on the same tank.

About 2 weeks ago I went to Dubbo well Narromine and went there and got back home with 25L of fuel still on board.

I hope this thread has made others think to.

Hey George, mine is a butane soldering iron so I dont need the inverter.

Dave.

Hey George, mine is a butane soldering iron so I dont need the inverter.

Dave.

yeah i used to have one of those butane Wellers, a great piece of kit!

ended up buying another lil butane soldering iron/blow torch from DSE about 5 years back, and the thing just had the soldering tip melt haha, dodgy or what!?

i had to do thick wire soldering (well thicker then most electronic stuff) so needed the big 80w to help pass the heat through whatever i had to solder up.

ahh, i wish i still had my butane Weller :(

and i should probs get a radiator hose kit for some spares while i'm at it!

Lol, at work I usually use 48V soldering irons as thats what the systems run at so Telstra got Weller to make them 48V soldering irons.

However sometimes the 48V ones get broken or stolen so the Butane comes out.

Its the bigger one in the Weller range, handy little thing.

Oh and there a 3 cans of butane on the passenger floor as spares.

Dave.

This growing list is going to solve two problems;
1) recommended spares to have on board,
2) some weight for the tub to improve the ride for the CFO.

The problem now is what to store them all in.

Latest posts

Back