second hand d22 nervous

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhysfanning89

Reaction score
Hi all,
looking at getting a second hand rig for a bit of occasional fun in WA. I have a work car so it will be only used for beach launches for a small boat and some 4wd adventures.

I've found a 2005 Navara D22 dx 3.0 DI in a car yard for $14k sounds a bit steep in light of the reviews the cars getting. it's done 200k but when i test drove i didn't know about the ZD30 issues so i didn't look for engine rebuilds or turbo replacements in the history. I will look more in depth into work performed on monday. but in the meantime just how bad is the situation for these engines? if it hasnt been replaced for 200k could it be i'm onto a good thing. or is it a definant no go zone?

The zd30 is a good motor if treated proper - there are many examples going deep into the late 200k and a few 300k plus. Do your due dillagence - get all the standard checks done.

As for price - the zd30 holds reasonable value cause folks like the torque more than the yd25.

the ZD30 in the navara is a good solid engine if a little bit slow, its got plenty of power for 4wheeling though, the early ones had a fw issues but it seems to be sorted after the 2004 refresh of them so if anyone tells you they all grenade its bs. The turbo can let go though if it has been driven hard in the past and shutdown without time to cool the oil (its an oil cooled turbo) some people are unlucky and it kills their engine in the process, the fuel pump has been known to go as it gets older, thats like a $4500 repair bill apart from that these things are pretty solid.

but remember there are plenty of good utes around though for the same or less money, any of the old rodeo's made by isuzu are fantastic, the old hilux's with 2.8 or newer one with 3.4 v6 will go forever, landcruisers with 1HZ diesel or 1FZ petrol the list goes on. For $14000 on a DX and that many km i'd keep walking.

Thanks a lot guys!!Very glad I seeked advice first. Doesnt look like there are any strs in the price I want in wa. Because im not very knowledgeable on the cruisers I was shying away because seeing 300k on the clocks quite intimidating. Put the time into learning the d22s flaws now think ill talk them down or wait for one with a better history to pop up.

Yeah just wait the good ones come around I brought my 2006 d22 str with 180000km for 13000 mate so just keep looking around my zd30 is good only issues I have had with have been my own fault joys of learning as u go hopefully have it completely solid now just take the front intake off the turbo and check the fins for chips and the shaft for any play doesn't give u any guarantees but helps to know that it's in good condition

Latest posts

Back