Sealing marine ply box in tub

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1279

Reaction score
Hi guys, on the weekend a mate knocked up a nice and solid marine ply box that sits over one wheel arch so that I can install my dual battery in there.

I've noticed that with the tonneau, it still gets quite wet in there. Over time this will ruin the box and fall apart as the ply expands / softens etc.

I plan on carpeting it but want to seal/protect it first. Mate suggested decking coat, thoughts / suggestions?

Cheers,

Try use something like a waterproofing membrane they use in showers or probably cheaper membrane they use in ponds outdoors. Not sure what you meant by decking coat but all things used on decking are just an oil and would not help in any way.

Or I've seen a guy just spread sikaflex all over with a spatula when it sets it will be waterproof and you can put you carpet on top

Or I've seen a guy just spread sikaflex all over with a spatula when it sets it will be waterproof and you can put you carpet on top

Yes my mate recommended silicon to seal the bottom that sits on the tub liner (if water was pooled in there).

if its proper marine ply it shouldnt be an issue

I'm far from an expert but I believe there are different grades of marine ply? This was sitting in a relatives shed for a few years and suspect it's not the highest quality/grade.

head down to your local hardware, get some 2 pack urethane clear/colour, couple coats inside N out and it'll last for years, make sure the bottom of the box gets a good coverage.

You can either roller coat or spray it ( I would roller coat it using a short nap/foam roller), if it's not in a canopy (open ute) i would use a colour as clear will go yellow after a 1-2 yrs. If you remove your petrol cap cover take that down to the hardware and they may be able to match the ute colour or close to it..

IMHO carpeting the box could be the worst thing to do as will hold rain or water on the surface of the box causing it to rot and possibly create a localised rust issue in the area it's mounted, if you set on a carpet cover mount the box so it has a small leg or edge to hold it off the tray surface..

Pat S

Last edited:
Thanks Pat. Appreciate the advice. The box is raised up from the surface with a small leg (it's sitting on the wheel well). The car is black so black colour will be fine. I'll see how that comes up before I consider carpeting it. Cheers,

Give it a really good coat of an outdoor sealer type paint, or even bed liner. Then start planning the stainless or aluminium piece you will replace it with when this one dies. Just being a smart ass with the last comment. Try to use a bracket or rubber to keep the bottom of it off the floor and you should be sweet.

Latest posts

Back