Rust Proofing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ82

Reaction score
This is a post I made in my intro thread, but probably does not belong there.

Thanks guys :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a surprise call today from the deal who tells me my D22 with the Outlaw kit will be ready Monday to collect!! 2 days earlier than they told me which is nice :)

The part I am struggling with at the moment is the electronic rust proofing -

a - there are so many to choose from
b - not even sure I need it for the minimal beach driving we do? (1/10 times we are on the beach the rest bush)
c - why does everyone try sell me some kind of pack (paint protection, interior etc)

I am also curious if anyone uses any OBD screens to keep track of stuff? Would something like this void my warranty?

Cheers

MJ

a) Shows a competitive market and a market where plenty of companies have been able to do the same thing as sell it as something different. There is plenty of threads about the different versions on this forum.

b) Only you can answer that, it's about peace of mind, I don't think they are worth it but many do and many insist they have to have a system.

c) They try to sell you stuff to make more money. Factory add ons are already massively marked up but shit like paint protection and interior protection are just like money for nothing, they cost the dealer SFA and the dealer charges the buyer a 3 figure sum.

OBD readers will not void warranty and about the worst Nissan will do is not reconnect it if they have to access the ODB port. An OBD tool that edits the ECU may however void warranty depending on what one does with it. Search for OBD reader, OBD scanner, OBD app there is quite a few threads on the available tools.

What he said^

Don't be fooled by the hot girl they send over to try and sweet talk some more cash out of you, its how they make alot of their money, you bargain hard to get a good deal on a car they might make hardly any profit on then they convince you to spend $1500 on a lifetime wax coat (which is BS), $1000 on interior protection (BS again), $500 for tinted windows, then $800 for electronic rust proofing with the total cost of labor and materials to them probably being no more then $3-400.

Nothing like a good coat of wax for the paint and lanolin for the body/chassis, plus they cost hardly anything, rust (iron oxide in this case) needs a few elements which are salt, dirt, water and oxygen, all you have to do is inhibit these reaching the bare metal and the car won't rust.

Electronic rust proofing is a farse, don't be fooled into thinking it stops rust it merely helps to slow down a very strong chemical reaction (which you can avoid anyway) from having happen if you do the aforementioned wax and coat of Lanolin/WD40/RP7/silicon lubricant. Get in places that salt, dirt and water may get stuck in ect, even if it picks up some dust its no big deal, a clean truck is a rusty truck ;)

Also whats this outlaw pack?

Last edited:
Awesome info guys, I think those 2 posts have been the most helpful of all the info I have been looking at!!!

I think I might just skip the electronic rust proofing (I'll sell/ trade in before it shows anyway) like I had half decided already :)

The Outlaw pack is apparently new, consisting of:
Steel Bull Bar
Rubber Floor Mats
Soft Tonneau Cover
Tow Bar
H/L Protectors
Smoked Bonnet Protector
Tubliner
Driving Lights

It came "free" (sure I would have paid for it somewhere) - I can't complain too much haha - I just wish I had of made him include the tinting

The OBDII thing I am looking at is this - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281018653261?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 - it also has an option to come with a GPS but I would prefer that to be separate and a little larger the 5 inches

Latest posts

Back