Roof shelf inside canopy?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKT

Reaction score
I have a canopy on my D22 that has a raised section from the front 3rd all the way to the rear and really is wasted space.

Carsales2.jpg

I am wanting to build a light work shelf up in there. Just for small camping tables, maybe a bit of tarp and things like that. There is a metal brace running east to west half way along the canopy but no other metal structure to fix to.

I was thinking maybe I could attach to that brace and have it take most the load then at each corner of the shelf fix it up and through the canopy making sure it was fixed clean and sealed. Most the load would be on the braced area and the corners really to stabilise the whole deal.
:chainsaw:

Has anyone built or had a shelf of this type installed?

DIY info would be great. Pics of you got em.

I had a bit of a thought....

There is a solid lip on top of each window including the front window of the canopy.

IMG_1894.jpg

I reckon a simple option would be to knock up a square tube frame with a sheet of solid ply and just slide it straight in. A bit of high density foam like substance glued around the edges to avoid and damage to the canaopy. Simple and removable. Im sure it would be easy enough to use the cross brace to create a sort of threaded lock, forceing the shelf/sheet down on to the lips, purely to stop it from sliding or bouncing.

Like I said it'd be mostly for camping tables and chairs etc... No serious weight.

Any thoughts?

I think you'd be surprised just how much weight there is in chairs and tables, especially when they bounce around while driving. We has some fishing rod holders mounted on the roof of the old man's canopy a few years ago but I can't for the life of me remember how they were mounted.

I have the same canopy and have also thought about trying to make the most of that space but havn't done anything about it yet. Keep us posted on how you go if you decide to build a shelf.

does that 'solid lip' happen to be aluminium? if so I'd stay away from mounting anything on it, what you could do is run 4 verticals off the top of the tub (the same way they mount the bars for roof racks on canopy's) and do it that way. the idea sounds good tho.

does that 'solid lip' happen to be aluminium? if so I'd stay away from mounting anything on it, what you could do is run 4 verticals off the top of the tub (the same way they mount the bars for roof racks on canopy's) and do it that way. the idea sounds good tho.

I dont quite get you sorry mate?

your window frames will be aluminium which will bend with only a small amount of force so I wouldnt have anything touching them. any shelf up there you'd want to build would need to be supported from underneath, no suspended from the existing structure (i.e. you'd need to make a new frame for it). remember the weight is dynamic, it's not a static weight therefore the structure has to be stronger)

your window frames will be aluminium which will bend with only a small amount of force so I wouldnt have anything touching them. any shelf up there you'd want to build would need to be supported from underneath, no suspended from the existing structure (i.e. you'd need to make a new frame for it). remember the weight is dynamic, it's not a static weight therefore the structure has to be stronger)

Fair enough. Thats why I like this forum. The reality checks.

i know cause i bent one of my frames slightly and it was a pain to fix.... plus the worst thing would be a damaged canopy. I'm taking the opposite approach to mine and going to make a shelf 300mm high from the bottom which is where i'll put my chair and tables (and mount it to the floor)

i know cause i bent one of my frames slightly and it was a pain to fix.... plus the worst thing would be a damaged canopy. I'm taking the opposite approach to mine and going to make a shelf 300mm high from the bottom which is where i'll put my chair and tables (and mount it to the floor)

Mate I am gonna take your advice and do the same thing.
I just want a few bits n bops stowed away a bit neater and no chance of stuff bangin around the back. I'm a pretty pickey packer and def got some OCD makin it harder for myself.

Thx for the info.

I'm making one for mine too, going to make it out of Bunnings warehouse pool fence, attached to the bolts from the window hinges with a strap type thing so the whole shelf tilts down for access. (genuine nissan canopy, not as much room as yours), going to use it for light stuff like bedding etc.

Pretty common mod on Landrover defenders i'm told

By the way, when I say attached to the bolts for the window hinges I mean they will hold them in place, the fibreglass will take the weight

Latest posts

Back