Revving too high!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leon

Reaction score
I'd like to ask all you Navara owners what you think I should do here.

My 2006 ST-R V6 petrol seems to be idling really high... I've had a guy take a quick look at it and he reckons he's cleaned it out and it 'should' be quieter but in all honesty... it hasn't made any difference!

It seems when you push the clutch in (manual obviously) that the engine revs really pick up and each time you do this (ie: changing gears) you hear the engine revving higher and higher...

I've pulled up at roundabouts and traffic lights... or even KFC drivethrough and people look and wonder (why i'm sitting there revving my engine) even though its all doing it by itself!!

I'm not a mechanic or anything like that, so apologies for my ignorance but there must be something that will quiet down the ride??

People I speak to ask it if gets better after it warms up and to be honest... it's still evident even after a good drive! Not quite as bad... but its still there!

If anyone can give me any advice, it'd be greatly appreciated. It makes driving Navara in built-up areas very annoying!! Coupled with the 'bump-stop' crunch when you turn a corner too tightly... lol

Thanks in advance
- Leon

What are the things that could make it idle high? These are possibilities, I don't know the petrol Navara well, this is just petrol engine experience:

* Idle adjustment on the accelerator linkage
* Debris in the throttle body holding the vane open
* Idle air jet not adjusted properly
* Carby jet worn, or stuck by debris (if a carby is fitted)
* Carby float valve sticking open (if carby is fitted)
* Timing advanced too far
* Mechanical/vacuum advance sticking
* Fuel pressure too high (EFI models) caused by faulty pressure sensor
* Fuel pump driving too hard caused by air in the line causing CAN read errors

I can't think of too many other reasons, unless the ECU has a fault or is misreading an input (eg the throttle position) - which could be a result of a loose connection, or water having caused some corrosion on a connector.

There might be other things that could cause it but that's a start. I'd take it to a different mechanic, because I'm not a mechanic and if I saw that car I'd bloody well keep at it until I got it right.

Have you disconected the battery at all,What used to happen to Magnas and Lancers was the would lose there smooth idleing and you needed to take it to your Mitsubishi Dealer

I think you may have a fly by wire set up on your narvara and if you have changed or discounted the battery at any time it may have lost its way and you may need to get the stepper motor reset at Mr Nissan

Thanks for the assistance and ideas guys... I'll look into it a bit more.. Seems to idle higher when the clutch is pushed in, the only way to get it to 'settle down' is to use the accelerator and at times 'ride the clutch'!! :(

The VG's run a accelerator cable, going by the manual.

I know with the KA24E's to adjust the idle, you disconnect the throttle position sensor and adjust a screw.

Have you downloaded the manual in the D22 section ?

Latest posts

Back