reduction of GVM when towing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodyD40

Reaction score
just had a browse of the nissan web site, and its the first time i'd noticed the following:

This first table i found on the D22 current model specifications:

Towball download Loaded Vehicle Mass
80kg GVM^ (All models) GVM^ GVM^ single cab dual cab
150kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM^ by 40kg 70kg
200kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM^ by 110kg 125kg
250kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM^ by 180kg 170kg
and now the D40 current model specifications:

Single and King Cab models
Towball download Vehicle Mass
80kg GVM** (All variants)
100kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM** by 30kg
150kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM** by 110kg
200kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM** by 185kg
250kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM** by 250kg
300kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM** by 310kg

2WD Dual Cab models
70kg GVM** (All variants)
100kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass to below GVM** by 40kg
150kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass to below GVM** by 110kg
200kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass to below GVM** by 180kg

4WD Dual Cab models
150kg GVM** (All variants)
200kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM** by 60kg
250kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM** by 130kg
300kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM** by 200kg

GVM = Gross Vehicle Mass
If the loaded vehicle mass is reduced as shown in the table, the towball download can be increased correspondingly.
Accordingly, if the laden mass is 180kg less than the GVM,** a towball download of 200kg is approved (2WD). Different
trailer types and different trailer manufacturers have varying towball downloads. The customer will need to contact the
trailer manufacturer for information as to the download. Nissan is not able to make any recommendation on the use
or suitability of load-levelling or weight distribution devices to be fitted to the vehicle. Customers should contact the
manufacturers of these devices for further information.

** GVM includes the driver, passengers, full fuel tank and luggage.
# Tare mass = unladen mass of vehicle and 10 litres of fuel, excludes tray body for Cab Chassis vehicles.
I guess its important to know what your weight of the trailer IS on your towbar, so you can work out how much you CANT put in the car.

Last edited:
sounds like a bit of legal BS to save nissan arse.
the big problem is most people have nothing to weigh towball weight with to start with and that it doesn't take into account all the different towbars and more importantly how far extended the tow ball is.

for NZ its meaningless as the legal rules are different.

bathroom scale works a great treat Tony ...

i did that with my boat trailer, and managed to get it adjusted so that there was no more than 150kg on the tow hitch (as that was the max output of the bathroom scale also)

i really need to check out the camper tailer now - i'd like to keep it in the range of 100 to 150kg. (even fully loaded)

By doing so, i dont have to reduce the GVM of the Navara based on the tables above.

Dug this old post up which answered a few questions for me.

The payload of my D40 is 871kg. My estimated ball weight of our van is 250kg therefore I was aware that the GVM must be reduced by 130kg to 641kg.

The problem was I was uncertain whether the 250kg ball weight was included 641kg allowance. This would have meant that after attaching the van, I would only have 391kg which would have easily been taken up with passengers, fuel, bull bar, canopy, bash plates, 2nd battery etc.

Fortunately the explanation at the bottom of Woody's post confirms that I still have 641kg allowanace after the van is attached. (or maybe not?)

The reduced GVM is still something to consider if you tow with your Navara.

Edit: After reading the explantion at the bottom of the table a few times, there is still ambiguity as to whether the ball weight is included in the GVM figure.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back