Reduction gears in mud

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calcal

Reaction score
I know reduction gears are awesome for hill climbs and rocks, but how are they in mud?? In stead of going through a bog hole in 2nd flat do you go third 3rd flat??
Just need to work out my options

Cheers

spend $500 and get the lokka in first and give that a run (it'll take you many, many places you couldn;t go before)

then worry about smashing $3k on reduction gears...

and on that note, if you're planning beach or mud work, i'd steer clear of reductions gears, too low for that kind of stuff. if you're building a rock crawler, then go for it.

spend $500 and get the lokka in first and give that a run (it'll take you many, many places you couldn;t go before)

then worry about smashing $3k on reduction gears...

and on that note, if you're planning beach or mud work, i'd steer clear of reductions gears, too low for that kind of stuff. if you're building a rock crawler, then go for it.

thanks for the mate.

im trying to build a tough alrounder.

i will def wait and see how the lokka goes first

the lokka will definitely put oyu into the all rounder category, slapping in reduction gears might move you into the rock crawler/hill climb only category. my low range as it stands now (STOCK!), is pretty perfect for river crossings, beach and mud work, everything i need it to do.

the lokka will definitely put oyu into the all rounder category, slapping in reduction gears might move you into the rock crawler/hill climb only category. my low range as it stands now (STOCK!), is pretty perfect for river crossings, beach and mud work, everything i need it to do.

sounds the goods.

but i wonder what the standard gears would be like with 33s

if you're worried about that, then i'd be looking at maybe doing the v6 diff conversion - replacing the diff guts with those form teh VG33e powered nav. the gear ratios, will almost perfectly bring you nav back to 'stock' values (will drive like your truck on stock wheels with current diff ratios)

if you're worried about that, then i'd be looking at maybe doing the v6 diff conversion - replacing the diff guts with those form teh VG33e powered nav. the gear ratios, will almost perfectly bring you nav back to 'stock' values (will drive like your truck on stock wheels with current diff ratios)

does the lokka fit both diffs or different lokkas??

haha, and here's where i ran into a snag with my plans...lokka don't make one for the v6 diff centres...

however, ARB do make an airlocker for the vg33e front diffs.

someone with a bit more knowledge of these might be better to talk to. in the end i settled for keeping my 32's and running a lokka, easier, and cheaper! and still take my truck to far-away places! which is nice as i've built it up as a capable tourer.

haha, and here's where i ran into a snag with my plans...lokka don't make one for the v6 diff centres...

however, ARB do make an airlocker for the vg33e front diffs.

someone with a bit more knowledge of these might be better to talk to. in the end i settled for keeping my 32's and running a lokka, easier, and cheaper! and still take my truck to far-away places! which is nice as i've built it up as a capable tourer.

its never easy planning a build lol
ive heard to many bad things about the ARB air lockers!!
i wonder if TJM do air lockers for the navaras

calcal said:
its never easy planning a build lol
ive heard to many bad things about the ARB air lockers!!
i wonder if TJM do air lockers for the navaras

No idea about TJM, but if I were going air lockers, I'd still go with ARB, they seem to be the lesser evil of the air-activated lockers out there. You could always try the new e-locker?

Just use 4th for the mud. I never had an issue with bog holes having reduction gears.

Try an e locker. Wires are easier to repair in the bush than an air leak..

Bad things about arb airlockers? Ive never looked online but i know hundreds of people personally that use them swear by them and not one has had a failure of the locker. had a couple of pootrols destroy diffs but not the locker.
Ps i dont work for arb lol
what sort of issues have you heard about

The only bad thing I have heard about them is when ya have both lockers and ya get bogged ya bogged. Mates got a hi lux and got bogged. Needed a 4x4 tractor go get him out. And the 2x4 tractor the farmer got bogged as well.

Bad things about arb airlockers? Ive never looked online but i know hundreds of people personally that use them swear by them and not one has had a failure of the locker. had a couple of pootrols destroy diffs but not the locker.
Ps i dont work for arb lol
what sort of issues have you heard about

They have really weak seals in them. TJM pro locker shits over ARB

I got a 4 wd systems lokka and I been trying to get it stuck I think there worth every cent if u haven't bottomed out u can get thru u can use so many more angles with a lokka

Latest posts

Back