Oil leak (shift shaft oil seal?)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 5942

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a small oil leak coming from 2006 Navara. I traced the oil leak and it seems to be coming from the transfer case, more likely where the Shift Shaft Oil Seal is.

I have attached some pictures below, could someone here please confirm the leak is indeed from the Shift Shaft Oil Seal?

My other question is, what do I need to do if I wanted to fix the problem? Can I just take replace the oil seal with a new one? Do I need to drain all the oil from the transfer case?

Help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

First photo showing the area where the oil is dripping from:

P1010749.jpg

This is another picture from underneath the car. It seems the area above the bolt is dry, and below is oily/wet:
P1010755.jpg

It's my official opinion, that your car us too clean. Go hit some mud for me.

That's the plan, but first I want to fix that oil leak!

Does anyone know if there is any HOW-TO manual on changing the transfer case/gearbox oil?

I cant see where its leaking.

I have updated the first image with a few arrows and some text to show where oil is coming from. Obviously to oil just flows down to lowest point as shown in the picture. I could trace the source to be what I believe is the Shift Shaft Oil Seal shown in the second picture. The second picture shows the part below the bolt to be wet, and the part above the bolt to be dry.

I have downloaded the service manual but for the transfer case (section TF) it only shows how to take the whole thing, I'm not too keen on doing that .. :sad:

I bought the car second hand a few months back, so I am actually keen to change the gear oil, diff oil [and any other stuff with oil in it] just for peace of mind.

You could try and that blue sealent on the bolt.

Looks like its leaking there.

Otherwise your going to have to split it and redo the seal.

You could try and that blue sealent on the bolt.

Looks like its leaking there.

Otherwise your going to have to split it and redo the seal.

Thanks for the reply Dave, but could you please add a bit more detail here, I'm a bit confused...

First, am I right to believe this is the Shift Shaft Oil Seal? Just want to be sure I am in the right area.

What blue sealant were you refering to?

Do you mean split the bolt? I don't mind doing that, I would actually prefer to go the long way but am just worried about the complications.

I gotta go play with my Nav and fix this earthing problem I am having.

Ill sus it out.

Latest posts

Back