Odometer Wind back

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are the second owner its hard but anything after that Vic roads or whoever it is for your state should have records from last registered.
Service books usually give it away as well or lack of.

Is it even possible to wind back the computer ones? Most navaras have the digital ones. I know with the older style ones if the numbers dont line up evenly its most likely been tampered with.

check for excessive wear on steering wheel and gear knob, usually fair indicators if the odometer may have bee tampered with, service book or lack of as previously mentioned, and yes it is possble to 'wind back' digital odometers

There was a thread a while back, no idea who started it or what it was titled, but the ability to wind back the speedo was discussed and I'm fairly sure the answer was, yes it possible, yes Nissan or anyone with the ability to edit the ECU could do it. Someone else may remember the thread and be able to link to it for clarification.

Plenty of places can do it! We can't though. Even we send them out.

Can't actually do it because of laws or can't do it because of lack of technology?

Can't actually do it because of laws or can't do it because of lack of technology?

The latter of the two. They don't access or need the ecu. It's all done through the cluster itself.

Last edited:
You'd reckon Nissan would put little tell tales in place which they could use to see if anyone tampered with bits and pieces. I know back in the 90's there was quite a few computer sellers who did it to make sure owners didn't open their PC cases and it was a common thing with some electronic suppliers many years before that, but then Nissan (and any other manufacturer) probably doesn't give a shit if the speedo's been wound back.

Do nissan keep a vehicle service history??
If you enter a vin would it show up if it was serviced by nissan?

I know they keep a record of any warranty work, or safety callback type work that has been done but I am not sure of just the normal service history. I would imagine if it was always taken to the same dealer they would have a record, but if not always serviced at the same dealer it is unlikely.

Obviously they wouldn't have a history of work done outside of their workshops but if they don't have immediate access to a history of stuff done at Nissan dealerships they'd have to be able to get hold of it.

I would imagine any Nissan dealership can bring up the VIN, I can take a VIN and tell you what sort of Nissan car it belongs to (obviously not personal information) and so can many others with the right software. If a dealer can't do that to find out if the person trying to claim warranty hasn't already tried the same stunt on 5 other dealers and been refused it would be an extremely poor system.

Latest posts

Back