No heat in cabin, possible head gasket issue despite passing pressure test?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibeme99

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a YD25 D40 MNT Navara.

I've been smashing my head against a brick wall trying to get to the bottom of this issue. I recently replaced the EGR cooler as the car started blowing white smoke and mechanic indicated that that was the issue. Since replacing that I had the mechanic do a pressure test and it was fine.

The car doesn't appear to be losing coolant and is no longer blowing white smoke, but it was hard to heat the engine and I can seem to get heat into the cabin. I replaced the thermostat and the engine appears to be heating normally again, but still no heat in the cabin. I've read about flushing the heater core, but with my limited tools, it's a bugger of a thing to try to remove those hoses. Instead, I removed the output host from the EGR pipe, and the output hose from the heater matrix and tried blowing into it. Nearly blew my ears off but it didn't go through. Also tried with hose but no luck. I'm not sure if that's supposed to work anyway the way that I've done it, but I'm not sure that that is the issue anyway as both input and output hoses to heater core are constantly cold. In fact, the whole heater pipe going from the EGR to the heater core remains cold. I've tried running water through the EGR cooler to make sure there are no blockages and all is fine.

I've read about air bubbles, so I've tried bleeding the system. This is where I'm getting a strange result because no bubbles are coming out unless I squeeze the top radiator hose. Once I can get no more bubbles, I rev it over 2k for a few seconds. This fills the funnel that I have sitting in the radiator, but again no bubbles until I start squeezing that top hose again which lowers the coolant level in the funnel. I can repeat this over and over it seems, so I'm thinking at this stage that I might be getting exhaust gas in the coolant when I rev the engine. Does that sound right?

Regards,

Latest posts

Back