Newbie Dictionary

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobez

Reaction score
Thought it might be a good idea to start a dictionary for newbies in reguards to 4WD terms, parts and procedures to do with mechanical workings, explanations of part abbreviations (CV's, EGR pipe etc).

Might be handy and might possibly cut down on some new threads, provided people use the search function. I'll start it off, hopefully some people throw some more in.

CV Joint: Constant Velocity Joint:
CV's are joints between the drive shafts and the wheels which transmit power and make the car move.

UCA: Upper Control Arm: Suspension Component: It is attached through a round thing, called a bearing, to a rigid object called a spindle or a knuckle. The spindle has to be able to move up and down to allow for bumps in the road and if it's a front wheel (or rear wheel with 4 wheel steering) it has to be able to turn for steering.

The spindle is attached to the vehicle in at least three points to hold it steady. An upper control arm attaches to the spindle at the top of the spindle and keeps if from moving in a left/right direction. On some (but not all) vehicles it can also keep it from moving forward/backward and can push the spindle down and car up. It is usually attached to the spindle via a ball joint.

EGR: Exhaust Gas Return: A pipe connecting the exhaust to the intake used to recycle some of the exhaust to lower emissions.

EGT: Exhaust Gas Temperature: A measurement of the exhaust gasses near the turbo to allow the driver to better control the vehicle.

That is all I can think of for now, Good idea Cobez.

That's the way! Nice!

Any answers to commonly asked questions can be thrown up too. Basically this thread can be used to answer all common questions and topics.

Tyre Sizing: D40's will take most larger tyre sizes up to (and including) a 265/75/16 or 265/75/17 (depending on wheel size obviously), WITHOUT lift. With a 2" lift, you can squeeze 285's in the guards, you may experience some scrubbing on full lock and flex, but that can be remedied by heating up and massaging the section of guard that the tyre is scrubbing on.

ZD30 = 3 Liter 4 cylinder Turbo charged diesel motor found in most D22 Navaras made between 1999 and 2006.

YD25 = 2.5 Litre 4 cylinder Turbo charged diesel motor found in all D22 Navaras made after 2006 and most D40 Navaras made up till 2011.

Sports bar: Often called a "roll bar", but in the event of a roll, will provide no stable protection whatsoever. Made from alloy and will not hold much weight etc. Hence why it's called a "sports bar".

Steelies: aftermarket steel wheels. Often hard to bash the outer rim back into shape after bending an edge 4WDing.

Sportsbar: The chrome or black bars fitted up at the rear of the cabin / front of tray from factory. Often called "roll bars", but will not provide any protection in the event of a roll. Made from alloy and will crush easily.

They will fit perfect with no scrubbing at all with bodylift. But CAN be done with just 2" lift. Some D40's have experienced alot of scrubbing, some havent. A stock STX wheel (+20 offset, 16x7) are good to run at absolute most, a 285. The only thing is, you can deflate them ALOT when offroad, as the tyre can roll off the wheel quite easy.

QD32: An engine in the Series 1 D22. 3.2L 4cyl Non-Turbo. Mechanical Injected. Direct Injected turbo charge version found in Nissan Elgrand.

TD27: A smaller version of the QD32 found in D21. 2.7L 4cyl Non-Turbo. Mechanical Injected. Turbo version in the terrano.

VG33 A V6 3.3L Petrol DOHC Engine found in the D22.

DOHC: Dual Over Head Cam

Cam: Camshaft: A part of the internal timing system that controls when intake and exhaust valves open and for how long.

D21: The first Navara, square in shape but sharing the same shell as the D22

D22: The second Navara, Also the most common.

D40: The latest model of Navara.

Last edited:
Cleats: Those super sweet removable / relocatable tie down points that come with the D40 Navara. One of the sweetest things Nissan have put onto a car in my opinion.

They will fit perfect with no scrubbing at all with bodylift. But CAN be done with just 2" lift. Some D40's have experienced alot of scrubbing, some havent. A stock STX wheel (+20 offset, 16x7) are good to run at absolute most, a 285. The only thing is, you can deflate them ALOT when offroad, as the tyre can roll off the wheel quite easy.

what would be the least amount of pressure able to be run without rolling of the rim and with out having bead lockers ie for beach sand the nice and soft stuff as apposed to requiring a larger foot print for going up sleep and rocky terrain. based on a stardard alloy

Couldnt tell you mate, i dont do any beach driving. I'm gonna have a stab and any no less than maybe 22psi. But i could be completely wrong so dont quote me on that

what would be the least amount of pressure able to be run without rolling of the rim and with out having bead lockers ie for beach sand the nice and soft stuff as apposed to requiring a larger foot print for going up sleep and rocky terrain. based on a stardard alloy

you can roll tyres off the rim even at like 20PSI, one of those how long is a piece of string questions...

Latest posts

Back