Neo Magnets on oil filter ??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your engine oil filter would pick up any metal and trap it in the pleated element.
Nice idea, but if you had pieces of metal - even tiny pieces of metal flying about in your engine oil, then you would have some major wear issues going on...
Then of course if you forget to retrieve said magnet prior to anyone else changing your oil and filter then they will keep it, or not even notice it is there and not replace it on the new filter...

On a Mini forum I'm on, it is a common practise to put a magnet (usually out of an old computer hard drive) onto the side of the filter (when using a remote filter like a Navara's as opposed to the original canister). Of course a Mini's engine and gearbox share the same oil, so the wear rate is usually higher. The drain plug is also usually magnetic for the same reason.

I've done it on several of my cars with no issues, but I usually do my own oil changes on those.

Latest posts

Back