Low range 4wd

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe2006

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody with a D40 auto could advise whether there is normally an audible whine when on the move in low range 4wd?

I do apologise for asking such a basic question but I pick up my car (new) later this week & just want to make sure the noise is normal.

I posted a similar question yesterday elsewhere on the forum & there has been no response so perhaps I posted it in the wrong place?

Admin, if either of these posts should be deleted, please do so :thank_you2:

Thanks

C'mon fellas

Lots of views of the topic but no one will tell me if a D40 makes a whining noise in low range.

I'm getting real nervous :suicide2:

Help!!!!

Mate I know it can be a pain when you don't get answers but not everyone logs on every day so sometimes 24 hours isn't enough time for everyone to see the questions, and questions do often get lost in the mix of other posts for some people.

You seem to suggest you are picking up your new car this week, if your picking up a new car how do you know it's got a whine in it?

I can't say I have ever noticed mine making a whining noise but i'm sure if someone else has they will answer when they see this.

Thanks Krafty,

My wife & I noticed the whine when I put it in low range on the test drive. When I went back to the dealer I mentioned it to the salesman however he said he had never put one in low range!

I forgot about it at the time & then when I remembered, I thought If anybody should know, it would be you guys on the Navara Forum.

I am probably a bit too anxious but figured that just about everyone on here would have put their Navara in low range and given the number of views, I thought this might be something which people have not experienced. As I indicated, I posted something similar in another area of the forum on Sunday night but no response to that either.

Anyway thanks for your reply & perhaps it is simply best if I insist on driving another vehicle to compare before I hand over the cash & take my vehicle.

:thank_you2:

P.S Imagine what I was like when I bought my house

Last edited:
Don't test out to see if it whines on a hard surface though. At least put it on the grass somewhere to test it.

G'day Matt,

It was on a dirt road so while loose, not soft ground.

Suppose it would be a bit rude if I took their car through the mud. lol

Thanks

It could well be that the test driver was not in the best of shape. My local dealer only had his Nav as a test driver when I first started looking and it was 18 months old with 25K on the clock, so it could be that the one you test drove had issues. Either way you get your chance to stick it to them at the 1000 km tyre kick so when you get the new one try it out before it goes back.

Same goes for anything else, try everything, move the seats, turn things on and off, without being to anal just test everything is working the way you expect it to and anything even if you don't consider it a huge issue write down and present it at the first check up and tell them you want it attended too.

Krafty,

The test driver was the vehicle I am purchasing with 20 odd k's on the clock. They had just pulled the protective plastic of all the bits & pieces.

The bugger at work has wound me up big time about this. Going home tonight to try the low range dirt road thing in the Pajero, just as a comparison although I can't remember it making a noise.

I am pretty sure that I am just embarrasing myself :stupid:

Ahh ok well in that case if it;s sold as a new car you'll still get your 1000km check up so if there is any problems it goes straight back to them.

The guy at work is probably just jealous your getting a D40, it's quite common among plebs and D22 drivers to report no existent problems so just ignore them :sarcastic:

lol Krafty I agree, many jealous people when you get a new beast.

To answer the whine question, I have not noticed mine at all, but have only had it in low range a few times on the sand, just to check it all out. Manual Nav though, cant speak for the autos.

Ah,

Bit slow on the uptake but now the penny has dropped.

A bit of "friendly" rivalry between D22 & D40 owners.

I can now take comfort in the knowledge that some of the stuff on here about D40's might not be necessarily the views of D40 owners.

Who is winning the argument? :big_smile:

A bit of "friendly" rivalry between D22 & D40 owners.

Friendly rivalry? No way they are dirty rotten low down scumbags who are jealous that we can afford better utes than them and they use the forum to cry about it and make up stupid stories of non existent problems to make themselves feel better.....but other than that I'm sure they are great blokes.

Oh and we are winning, just don't ask them the same question because they lie :ha:

The D22/D40 thing is playful banter. I try not to buy into it too much.

I've never noticed mine whining, but in low range, I've never gone fast enough - or had the wheels out of the water long enough - to notice. The only time I've had it in low range is when crossing a river, and the hubs and differentials were submerged.

I don't think whining is terminal (unless you're in politics, right Pauline?). I've heard plenty of vehicles whine in reverse - perfectly normal. In low range, there's a lot of input speed and not a lot of prop shaft/diff speed. The transfer case (responsible for the gear reduction) could easily - and happily - make some noise about that.

Get worried if it sounds like a grating noise, a tapping sound or a crunching from under the car. That's most likely the transfer chain slapping the side of the transfer case, which 99% of the time is caused by drivers using 4WD mode on a surface that's not loose enough for 4WD, causing the entire transmission from front wheels to rear wheels to bind up, which stretches the chain. It also causes other stresses in the diffs, CV joints and bearings.

Gee you guys, thanks fellas,

In my Lada (please don't laugh, it's cruel), any reasonable size hill requires low range & it's noisy in all gears, any range. I am in low range 4wd about once every week & yet can't remember the last time I have heard it!

Our Pajero can stay in High range 4wd (not with centre lock turned on) all the time (not that I do) & it was quite last night in 4LLC.

They are all different so maybe I was just too attuned to anything I thought was unusual when I went on the test drive.

Must try not to be too paranoid such things. Anyway enough of the self flagellation :hahaha:

Much appreciated

Last edited:
Picked the car up today & sat the Salesman in the car so he could listen to it in low range.

Naturally he was not concerned but conceeded the whine. I must admit that it was not as noticable as I had remembered. He didn't have another auto in stock so I took a manual for a drive & there was no noise whatsoever in low range.

Anyway I am satisfied that there is nothing to be concerned about and thank all you kind buggers who responded. :shakehands:

mate ive never known of any vehicle to whine when in 4x4(without there being something wrong), i have a d40 king cab manual and it doesnt make a noise. if i were you id get a mechanic to give it the once over just to be safe..

it's quite common among plebs and D22 drivers to report no existent problems so just ignore them :sarcastic:

I must say that its not common for the D40 truck to whine while in low range,

BUT,

its painfully clear to all about the :rant: whining coming from the drivers........
may be due to being too scared to get out of low range.

Bloody girlymen!:flowers:

Buy a '22 or forever be tarnished with the rest of 'em.

C'mon...you can do it..

:cheers!:

Latest posts

Back