hubs?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jockyboy

Reaction score
what is the best don't know the difference how they work and what you do,
manual locking hubs/ free wheeling hubs how do you lock these?
just don'y know hubs .
what's the best to get for my nissan navara d40 rx.

jock

There are no locks on the D40 hubs. The front axle turns the entire time. The only engagement/disengagement occurs inside the transfer case. They are not auto-locking - they are engaged full-time.

The D22 has hubs that you have to get out and lock, preferably before you land in the mud puddle.

I had a Mishitibus L300 4WD that had auto-locking hubs. They were pains in the ass. While they worked, excellent, sometimes had to roll the vehicle backwards to make the hubs disengage, but when they screwed up, they dropped springs and bits of metal all over the place, made the ground beneath look like a watchmaker's bench.

As for the D40 you are stuck with what you have i believe, so doesn't matter.

Free-wheeling hubs allow the wheels to spin freely. This means your CV's, front diff, and front driveshaft are not spinning if the hubs are unlocked. If you then either engage 4wd with the hubs unlocked, or leave it in 2wd but lock the hubs, it means all of that will spin, but as the whole "circuit" is not connected you still wont have drive. If the hubs are locked and you engage 4wd then it is complete and you get drive to front wheels.

you will know how to lock them if you ever see them. Ever seen a D22 or a patrol or an old rodeo that in the middle of the front wheel has what looks like a dial with lock and unlock, well you can turn it to lock and also unlock the hubs.

Latest posts

Back