How much "stress" when using low range?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 5942

Reaction score
Hi All,

I went driving in some sand dunes yesterday, and while some spots required using low range I noticed that I find it much easier using low range even if not fully required. I used 2nd/3rd gear with low range at slower speeds (<40kmh) and because the car had so much torque it allowed me to stay at low revs and required less gear changes.

I am just wondering though whether this puts any stress on the transfer case (or on any other parts of the car for the matter) because of the high torque produced.

Many thanks!

That's what it is designed for. If you where in 2wd you would be flogging it to keep the revs in the power band and end up doing damage.

Thanks guys, but 2WD was never an option. The question was more of a choice between 4WD in high range or low range.

The car didn't struggle either way, it was more of a personal preference to use low range as it was easier to handle (less gear changes, lower revs). On some occasions we had lots of bumps and I just left it in 3rd gear on idle rpm and it cruised through them, then gently accelerated to get back to normal driving speed (30-40kmh). The car didn't struggle, but just having the transfer case in mind so asking the question...

No mate, that's what its designed for. As you found sometimes its easier to leave it in low instead of having to stop and change between low and high all the time. Just keep in mind to stay below 50km/h in low range as the sticker on the driver's sun visor says.

I much prefer low range for sand, nearly every "professional" article on sand driving says use high range but I think thats bollocks unless you own a vehicle with a very powerful motor (of which the ZD30 is not lol) just stay in 4Low, I just find it gives me a much better spread of gears and if you go faster than 50km/h in soft powder sand your are just asking for trouble.

My last car was a 2.5CR D22, was alot better in sand cause they like to rev more and IMO it being a brand new engine had more horses.

Thanks guys, but 2WD was never an option. The question was more of a choice between 4WD in high range or low range.

The car didn't struggle either way, it was more of a personal preference to use low range as it was easier to handle (less gear changes, lower revs). On some occasions we had lots of bumps and I just left it in 3rd gear on idle rpm and it cruised through them, then gently accelerated to get back to normal driving speed (30-40kmh). The car didn't struggle, but just having the transfer case in mind so asking the question...

Sorry about that. Yeah well I would say stay in low range. From what I know 2 hi and 4 hi are going to be the same gearing so you would be pushing the car a bit harder in either of them, once you put it in 4L that is when you will have the benefit of the gearing so you will not have to rev it to hard to keep moving. If you are staying around 30-40kmh you will be fine in 4L.

It's a 'feel' thing -- sometimes I'm in 4h, then other times 4l. Listen to the engine, feel the way the beasty moves along the track -- it'll tell you what works best for it at any given time.

Latest posts

Back