how does your d40 go in the bush?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navdog_d40

Reaction score
hey guys i just bought a d40 today how dose it go off road ??
also how many of u have a air locker and is it only the rear u can do ? is it good to have them in the rear? cheers

Goes alright for a hair dressers car, iv got rear air locker, makes a huge difference. Youv got the option for either mechanical lokka or eaton e locker for the front

Goes alright for a hair dressers car, iv got rear air locker, makes a huge difference. Youv got the option for either mechanical lokka or eaton e locker for the front

Go alright once you add 4" of lift, hey Kyle.:big_smile:

Let's clear something up here.

The D22 is a narrower car than the D40, so its wheel track isn't as wide - the D40 is more stable and has less inclination to roll.

The D40 has a longer wheelbase than the D22, so its ramp-over isn't as good. The stock 2011 D40 is a few mm higher than the D22.

Both vehicles can be raised to the legal limit (or beyond). Both vehicles can have larger tyres fitted with modifications to the front guard area.

The D22 has less power than the D40 but both can be chipped to provide more power, the D22 coming up close to the D40 but not quite reaching it.

The D22 doesn't have a front e-lokka option yet, the D40 does.

So, in summary: there's very little difference between the two, but the D40 in all reality is NOT a worse vehicle off-road than the D22. The D40 does cost a fair bit more, so for the $ spent the D22 would come out on top.

But in terms of pure ability, neither would really outshine the other - they both have weaknesses that require modification to get past.

Up at the muster there were both 22's and 40's on the tracks and they all did well. Not the toughest tracks around, to be sure, but you couldn't walk away from the event and honestly say that one or the other was streets ahead, if you considered the mods etc.

Lies tony. Mines streets ahead haha nah, im just shitty coz mines broken. Both front wheel bearings with only 40k on the clock

Yeah 4"s of lift with half an inch down travel, is it bad im starting to hate my car

Last edited:
until I sell my d22 I have both .. How do u think it compares to other 4x4 uts? In it's class cheers guys

Still better than a hilux. Should've just got a patrol instead if you want offroad ability

Let's clear something up here.

The D22 doesn't have a front e-lokka option yet, the D40 does.

Tony - can you point me to a website re the front locker....I have an ARB air locker in the rear but didn't know that someone had finally produced a locker for the front.
Also have you heard any reports on how the front diffs are standing up to being locked. I understand that the main reason the ARB haven't produced an air locker for the front is because the diffs kept clapping out.

hey guys i just bought a d40 today how dose it go off road ??
also how many of u have a air locker and is it only the rear u can do ? is it good to have them in the rear? cheers

I've done a couple of mods to improve the off-roadability of my D40 and have to say that it is pretty damn good. The only real shortcoming relative to other dual cabs is that is has a looooooooooooooong wheel base and this compromises ramp-over somewhat. You do become much better at picking the right line when amongst the rocks though.

Tony - can you point me to a website re the front locker....I have an ARB air locker in the rear but didn't know that someone had finally produced a locker for the front.
Also have you heard any reports on how the front diffs are standing up to being locked. I understand that the main reason the ARB haven't produced an air locker for the front is because the diffs kept clapping out.

ARB have now released a front locker, here is the thread.

Eaton Harrop have released a front e-locker for the D40. No air compressor needed. The D22 front locker is expected Q1 this year.

Latest posts

Back