how do i extend the leads of my winch?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooba_285

Reaction score
hi all, just wondering how i would go about extending the electrical leads on my winch, i want to relocate the control box inside the engine bay. not sure on what type of wire to use and how to join it (thinking soldering but not much of a sparky lol) cheers

If you are not confident take it to an auto elec, otherwise go and get yourself some heavy gauge welding cable and you should be able to fit it up yourself. Expect to pay about $15 or more a meter.

Yup, you could extend by either soldering or by crimping, however, constant vibrations etc means that NEW longer cables would probably be better for this job.

As said above, heavy guage welding cable is the go, 70mm if you can get it. Crimp the ends then solder into the crimped lug for absolutely the best connection. Don't solder only as continual winching at 400 or so amps can heat the lug up, and melt the solder so the cable falls out the lug, not good.
Boat accessory places often have battery leads made up of different lengths but i'd go heavier cable than they use personally

Latest posts

Back