help with starting problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wombi

Reaction score
Hi everyone, have just joined the forum tonight hoping that before I get ripped off at a mechanic that someone can advise me on an issue. We have a 1991 navara that we have owned for about 2 years. When we bought it, on very few occasions it screeched a bit when trying to start it. We just had to jiggle the gear stick (auto) a bit and it would start. It still happens, not very often but enough to annoy me!!!!! A friend mentioned it may be the flywheel as teeth may be missing off it and the noise is the wheel spinning trying to lock in. Some one also said it may just be a slipping fanbelt but it sounds nothing like that. Anyone have any ideas?

What engine for starters.

Solinoid on the starter could be dicky, not engaging the starter enough. Seen it before.

With the auto, there is a inhibitor switch on the lever. Might just need adjusting.

Welcome to the forum.

Does the noise occur

1) only happen before the engine starts turning,
2) when the engine is actually cranking over, or
3) is it happening after the engine has fired and you're giving it a quick rev?

If 1), it's probably the starter gear which might be fixed by replacing or reconditioning the starter motor. There may be some damage to the teeth on the flywheel.

If 2), it could be belts, alternator bearings, idler pulley bearings if the noise is coming from the front of the engine. If it's coming from underneath the car, it could be low auto gearbox oil which has cause some damage to the torque converter, or worse something inside the gearbox. It might also be damage caused by coolant/water mixing in the auto transmission fluid via the cooler (if it has one like the later model cars that sits in the bottom of the radiator).

If 3), it could be the turbocharger. Clean the hosing around the turbo inlet (cold engine please) then start the car, let it warm up a little (about 2-3 minutes at idle will do). Carefully remove the hose from the intake of the turbocharger and make absolutely sure that you don't let any dirt enter. Now give the fan inside a spin, it should start smoothly and continue for a couple of moments with no sign of jerking or roughness. The shaft should not wobble in any direction. If it's the turbocharger, do NOT operate the car any more until it's replaced - if the turbocharger compressor (spinning at 100,000rpm) breaks apart, it will detonate and send shards into the engine, destroying the engine.

Another possible cause if 3) is a boost leak. Look for signs of oil seeping out of the intake hose between the turbocharger and the intake manifold. If you spot any blackish oil (which is from your PCV, fit a catch can) then there's either a split/crack in the hose, or the hose clamp is either too loose or too tight (pinching).

I hope it's nothing too dramatic!

the noise is only as we are trying to start the motor, so it hasnt actually started yet, just trying to. When it happens we turn the key off, jiggle the gearstick a bit and try again, sometimes it starts, others it screeches again. Will get the ideas you guys have given us checked out as we are trying to get the cheapest option first.
A lot of people we talk to say replacing the flywheel is an expensive job and as we are trying to save for a newer ute we dont want to spend a lot of cash on this one.
Being and older car (1991) i realise its going to have problems but just trying to find out before we take it to a mechanic who is probably going to feed us a lot of bull! At least we have a few ideas to take to them now.
Anyone know of a trustworty mechanic in wollongong's south?

Latest posts

Back