GME TX4400 UHF install in 2010 STX

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stxowner

Reaction score
Hi, just sharing a couple of pics of my new UHF install into my 2010 STX. Looked around quite a bit before going for the GME TX4400. This unit suits my needs (like rotary controls - not push buttons) and was cheaper than the new TX4500 model (TX4400 made after Jan 2011 are user upgradeable to 80 ch takes only 30 sec to do). I liked the ICOM unit but is was too deep to fit in the console where I wanted it. The GME unit fits neatly into the console compartment with a couple of cutouts at the rear to allow for it to sit deeper and access for the wiring. A microphone extension cable comes from a socket at the rear of the unit and I fitted it up to one of the spare switch blanks. End result is unintrusive and still easy to reach & operate. When the console compartment lid is closed all you see is the mic.

Attachments

• IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,664
  • IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 856
  • IMG_1634.jpg
    IMG_1634.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 664
Nice job, looks like that changed the D40 interiors a bit in 2010, dunno what's there in mine but there wasn't a hole for a CB.

Where/How did you route the antenna cable in from outside??

Coming from the engine bay on passenger side firewall there is a large wiring loom going through the wall and nearby is a small unused grommet/plug. Remove the plug (you can cut a hole in it to push over your cable and reuse) and behind the hole you will see some insulation material. get a wire coathanger and straighten out then fold over the end so you don't have a sharp point. feed the wire downwards through the hole but between the wall and the insulation. Inside remove or fold back the footwell liner under the dash and you should see your coathanger. From there just use the hanger to pull back some string then join your cable and pull back again. Maybe I was lucky but it just worked first time without any problem at all.
Good luck

very nice think thats how i'll do mine in the 550 looks like the same dash...

This location works for me as I pretty much leave on CH 40. If you are going to be changing channels a lot then it may be an issue as you have to recess the radio into the box a bit to allow the door to close which makes it hard to see the display without bobbing your head down (not a good idea if driving at the time but I am tall so may not be an issue). Accessing the controls is still easy to do and you can always remove the door altogether in which case you wouldn't need the mic extension cable. Also I had to cut out a bit of the sides of the box to allow the radio to sit in deep enough. Didn't need any mounting brackets, just used Velcro under the radio. The rubber liner from the bottom of the box is now wedged in on top of the radio and everything is extremely secure.

Am looking at doing a similar installation of a GME 3510 on my 2010 D40 STX but would appreciate some advice on how to hook up the power and how you connected the mike (and any other connections) through the back of the fliplid glove box. Looks like a very neat job on yours - would you have done anything different now you have had it in use for a while?

Power was connected to the wires going to the cig lighter socket in the dash as it always has power on without the need for the key. For the mic connection my radio has a rear mic socket option which is essential for this install. Simply remove the blanking grommet from back of radio and fit to the front where the mic usually goes. I purchased a mic extension cable and plugged it into rear of radio and fitted the female end to the rear of the switch blank. Just drill a suitable size hole in the blank then araldite the socket into place so you can plug in the mic. Overall I have been very happy with this setup. The mic is easy to reach when I want it but otherwise completely out of the way. Did have to cut out the back of the box to allow thje radio to fit in deep and to allow room for the power, mic and antennae connectors. As I said earlier, if you like fiddling with the controls then this setup may not be for you as it can be a bit hard to see the controls when driving but for me I generally only use ch40 when driving so its no issue. Would do it the same way again.

Oh forgot to add: Remove the rubber liner at bottom of the box then use velcro to stick the radio into place. I had the velcro pieces stuck to the box and the radio seperately then placed a piece of thin plastic cut from icecream container lid between the velcro as I slid the radio into place (connect up all your wiring to the radio first). Once the radio is where you like it you can pull out the plastic and let the velcro do its thing. I trilled the rubber liner so that there is a neat strip sitting in front of the radio, the remainder I pushed into the gap above the radio to help keep everything tight.

Thanks for the instal info STXOWNER, I have been away on & off. Intend to instal a GME3510W soon. Any tips on a neat fitment of antenna from bullbar to back of radio?

Latest posts

Back